Thursday, August 23, 2007

Fair Days










On Monday, we went to the Kentucky State fair with my Mom, and sisters Katie and Emily. I don't know if I can adequately convey how much I love the fair. It appeals to me on so many levels. I love the crazy, dangerous rides, the animals, the exhibits, and ESPECIALLY the fair food. I think I've only missed one Fair in the nineteen years we've lived in Kentucky. It's a milestone for me now, signaling the end of simmer and beginning of fall. I was so excited to share the fair with my little one this year. I talked about it for weeks leading up to it about all we would see and do. I'd ask her, "Maura,do you want to go see the piggies at the fair?" "No," she'd say with a shake of her head. And again, "Maura, do you want to go see the horses at the fair?" "No," she'd say with another shake. Well, she obviously didn't know what she was talking about because she LOVED the fair. Her first favorite thing was the filthy stroller we had to rent because her horrible mother forgot to bring hers. It was shaped like a car and and a steering wheel and all she could think of for the first half hour was that stroller.

THEN we found the pigs! I am terribly proud of my child--she does the best pig impression that I think I've ever heard. It only got better during our visit to the pig exhibit. Maura got very excited about the pigs and was snorting all over the place. Then, some pigs got loose and went running right by her. You would have thought it was Christmas morning. Her face lit up like she was seeing Santa! She was so funny!

We managed to see pigs, sheep, dogs, ducks and baby chicks before leaving that part of the exhibit. She treated us all with impressions of the animals. The next part that she loved was the cake exhibit. There are beautifully decorated cakes in glass cases which are close to the ground. I don't know if she knew they were cakes, but she was VERY excited about them. She ran up and down the display case squealing over each cake, pointing and occasionally hitting her head on the glass trying to get a closer look! I don't know why they were so exiciting, but maybe she'll grow up to be the next Ace of Cakes. After that, we indulged in some fabulous fair food. In all actuality, this post's pictures don't really convey a sense of our fair experience simply because you don't see us eating in any of them. That's really what we're there for. My favorite indulgence this year was a deep fried Snickers Bar. What, you may ask is a deep fried Snickers? It's a sinful confection of a Snickers bar on a stick dipped in funnel cake batter and then fried. You don't see a picture of me with it because I ate it while holding my dead asleep child and spilled powdered sugar all over her! It was truly a successful day. We went home tired, happy, and slightly sick to our stomaches with all the fair food!













4 comments:

Michael and Hannah said...

I'd just like to point out that so far, the pig has the biggest close-up of anyone on your entire blog! Maura does not look like a baby at all anymore. She looks more and more like you every time I see new pictures! Glad you love the fair... I have only been to the fair as an employee of the Kentucky Historical Society. Not fun. The Florida State Fair is in February (we would all die in August), but it's held in Tampa, only 30 minutes from our house. I don't have a huge urge to go though, seeing as I'm allergic to hay and everything that moves at a fair... especially rednecks.

JTNOFFSINGER said...

I love the fair! I haven't been able to go since 1997! That is just sad. I need to put in time off tomorrow, so that I can go next year. Sounds like Maura had a terrific time. The pig picture is fabulous.

Blogging is addictive. I wish I had more time for it.

Michael and Hannah said...

Hey JTNoffsinger! Send me your blog site! You can e-mail it to me at hkrhodes@yahoo.com

mommy of girls said...

Wish we'd known you all were going...we might have tried to mee you there...maybe next year. Glad you all had such a good time. I have never had a deep fried snickers bar, but I definitely think I'd like to try one! :-)