Tuesday, Sept 11 was a big day for Maura. She turned 18 months old! I can hardly believe my baby girl is already 18 months. She's turned into such a big girl overnight. She's extreemely independent and self sufficient. I can already imagine her saying, "I can do it myself," as soon as she is able. She's saying about 70 words.(Brent and I sat down and counted!) What's so funny is that she's learning a lot of adjectives rather than nouns. For example, she uses hot, cold, and warm a lot, rather than saying what's actually in the glass. She says, "heavy and hungry" too! What a descriptive girl--maybe she'll be a writer someday.
We decided to really celebrate this half birthday. I got her up in the morning singing,"Happy Half Birthday." I'm sure she had no idea what if the world her crazy mother was talking about, but she loved it just the same. She's getting really big these days--I think about 34 inches tall and about 25 1/2 pounds. A little different than she was 18 months ago!
I made her a half birthday cake all in pink, and she loved seeing it in the morning. She yelled, "Cake, Cake!" and I had a difficult time explaining that we would be eating it later. Look, pink, her signature color.
We had play group in the morning, and took some cupcakes with us to share with the crew. They all loved the pink icing. Notice Maura's new facial hair. She eventually managed to eat the whole thing.
This is Maura playing with her friend Lily. Maura is snatching the toy away from Lily, who shares much more graciously than my child. Look, she's actually smiling as Maura takes away her toy! These girls have been playing together since they've been about 8 months old.
Emily decided to entertain us all with a "live" puppet show. As the oldest girl in the playgroup, she shows the other girls the ropes. She'll be three soon.
Lily and Sarah. Lily is 19 months and Sarah is 21 months. Sarah and Maura have been "playmates" since Maura was about 4 months old! Really, we can't figure out if playgroup is more for the children or for the adults.
The four amigos in a rare moment of peace. Any minute now, one is going to step onto another's turf and tears will flow!
In the afternoon, Mom went with me to get Maura's 18 month pictures taken. Despite the unwilling subject, they managed to get tons of great shots and I had such a hard time deciding. I loved so many and could have spent a fortune, but I just kept reminding myself that I probably would want to get her pictures taken again when she turned two in just six months!





2 comments:
Okay Supermomma, you are too cute with the made-up celebrations... never even occurred to me to celebrate a half birthday! But then again, I was 4 months pregnant when Wesley turned 18-months, and not prone to baking cakes! So were the portraits you posted the ones you took on Tuesday? How in the world did you get them back so quickly?? I had my kiddos portraits taken today, and I won't get them back for two weeks! I almost broke down and cried in the studio... Wesley was so completely non-compliant, and Anna Kate would not settle down. I can't believe Maura just stands there and poses so angelically! Happy half-birthday, Maura... your momma's a crazy lady!
P.S. I can't believe Maura will still wear a bib! Wesley started pulling his bibs off around 1-year-old, and we gave up trying a long time ago! Boys are SUCH a different experience... you'd better beware!!! You and your smocks and hand sanitizer and super-cleanly ways are in for a shock if you get a little guy next time 'round!
Post a Comment