June 2011--It was finally here!! Our family has been looking forward to a beach vacation for MONTHS! I made the mistake of mentioning our upcoming beach vacationk WAY back in March and the kids have been asking about it ever since. I finally circled June 11th on the calender and allowed the kids to make a huge X through each day we passed leading up to the big day. The kids couldn't have been more excited when it was time to leave. I attempted to stress upon them what a long trip it would be to reach the Outer Banks. We talked about how we would leave in the dark and it would be dark before we finally got to the vacation house. They listened, said they understood, then proceeded to ask again and again if we were there yet. Oh well! It only drove us a LITTLE crazy! We did walk down to the beach once we arrived, but the event wasn't photo worthy in the semi darkness. The next day was the first true beach experience and the kids couldn't get down there quickly enough. We stayed at a beautiful beach access home just across from the beach and a short walk to the beach access. LOVED being so close we could walk! I don't know if we can ever go back now to non-beachfront property.

We had to take a photo--we weren't sure if Dad would make it back down to the beach again. He's not much of a beach guy, but he spent the first morning at the beach watching his grandchildren enjoy their beach discoveries. Mom and Dad paid for this whole trip and we certainly couldn't have done it without them. Thanks so much Mom and Dad!! Brent and I truly enjoyed the experience of enjoying the beach with our little ones so very much.


It was Alexandra's first trip to the beach and we weren't sure what to expect of her. Micah took her down to the water's edge and she pretty much hated it. Well, at least we didn't have to worry about her running out into the water! Can you guess which child DIDN'T hate it?? That would be Bennett. He pretty much loved everything about the sand and surf, even eating the sand. YUCK! We figured that maybe it didn't taste as bad to him as it does to us because he dosen't have any teeth!


Sweet little man--so happy to be there. We had some nice tidal pools around us on the first day that were perfect for Bennett. He loved crawling through them, splashing and shoveling the water. I thought maybe he'd take a few steps too, but he was content to just stand up where he was.


Maura, my little scientist, was in her element. There's just so much to see and discover at the beach! She was enthralled by all the seashells, but she was most excited about the sand crabs. She kept trying desperately to catch these elusive little buggers and she'd get so close, but they'd evade her. Eventually, I stepped in and shoveled up a few of the little critters for her. She couldn't have been happier with her bucketful of little crabs.


Tristan man just wanted to RUN! He took off along the beach, running through sand and waves. I loved watching him reexperience the beach. He couldn't wait to dig in the sand, run his digging machine and build a sandcastle. It was such a fun experience to play with my precious ones on the beach. It's not a relaxing beach experience, no books beach side reading was occurring and no naps were being taken by us, but I wouldn't change it at all because my children are growing up TOO quickly! I build sandcastles with them today so that I can build relationships with them tomorrow.


Uncle Micah took the time to help them build some sandcastles too. All their aunts and uncles were so great with them on this vacation. We were so blessed to have such a perfect family vacation. More to come...

No comments:
Post a Comment