Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Nothing says FALL like a trip to a battlefield!

Last Saturday we went to fight a battle. Well, not US exactly, but we did witness the Battle of Perryville between the USA and the Confederate States of America. (Yes, I know I'm writing in Blue with underlining, but I have no idea how to turn it off.) Brent has been wanting to attend this battle reenactment ever since I can remember, but we've never made it there. Since his birthday two weeks ago was kind of not fun for him, I agreed to pack up the kids and head to the battle in the afternoon. Ahh, no more blue! I really think that both armies would have been better off way back when if they had hand sanitizing stations near their latrines.

We found a place along Peters Hill and waited for the action to begin. The confederates lined up along the ridge line and the Yankees advanced up the hill. There were a lot of shots fired, as you can see. Maura was not a fan, especially when the artillery started shelling! It was funny to watch the battle, though. Hundreds, and probably thousands of shots were fired before the first reenactor fell down.

We especially loved watching the Calvary. After my years of horseback riding, it never fails to amaze me when a horse will stand still and listen to gunfire right next to him. What amazed me still more was that my sweet baby boy managed to fall ASLEEP in the midst of the battle. He didn't love the gunfire and he buried his head in my shoulder. I used my other hand to cover his ear and after about five minutes, I felt him get VERY heavy. I asked the lady standing next to me if he was asleep. She was so amused that she took a photo of him. He slept through the rest of the VERY long battle.

Maura with Mrs. Jody, one of the coach's wives. They met us down there and Mrs. Jody helped to take care of Maura. Maura got bored midway through the battle and decided to try some artistic expression with the camera. I really liked this shot! Maybe she'll be a photographer someday.

Tristan gets very heavy very quickly while he's sleeping, so I pawned him off on Daddy! The men finally started falling and the battle really warmed up!

One last Calvary charge and it was pretty much over. The history books consider this battle a draw, but the Confederates do claim victory. It was really fun to watch the battle and I'm sure we'll go back some other year to see it again. Maura spied some of the civilian reenactors and was immediately charmed. She said, "They're so BEAUTIFUL! They look like princesses." The girls were kind enough to pose for a photo and Maura acted as if she'd met a celebrity.

Daddy with his kiddos, enjoying the beautiful fall day. My little confederate boy finally woke up and enjoyed the festivities. (Mom, you know this one is just to annoy you, right??)

He loved the very modern swings. It was a fun experience and one I'm sure Brent would like to repeat again soon. Maura regaled us all with her version of "Bonnie Blue Flag" as we walked off into the sunset.

On Sunday, I helped to host a shower for my dear friend Angie. Her baby is due at the end of October, and we were so excited to celebrate with her. We went with a rubber ducky theme and it turned out cute. My Rubber Ducky cake.

Sarah was so excited to be a part of the big girl action. Angie with her big girl. Sarah is going to be a big sister very soon and she's really excited about it!

Sarah was thrilled when the baby received a "Baby" which is Sarah's comfort item. Big Sister Sarah stole the show! She was adorable helping Angie open gifts and getting excited about what they contained. We can hardly wait to welcome Angie, Chris and Sarah's newest addition!



post signature

2 comments:

Angie said...

Julie, I cannot tell you just how much I appreciate you taking the time to throw this great shower for baby and me. You are truly one of my dearest friends in the world. I am so thankful to have you in my life! God bless you for your kindness.
Angie

Michael and Hannah said...

I scrubbed grave stones in Perryville one summer during Centre GSP! Hope you enjoyed all of those bright and shiny headstones!