Thursday, September 8, 2011

Busch Gardens

While in Virginia, I knew we had to take the opportunity to visit Busch Gardens. We were only about an hour and half away and we didn't foresee any point in the future when we'd be so close. Sea World/Busch Gardens has a program that allows members of the military and their families to go to one of their establishments one day a year for free. We simply couldn't pass up the chance to go on the one Saturday we were in Virginia, despite the fact that it was 100 degrees that day! The kids were SO excited--they couldn't wait to get started!
Hard to believe that we're at a point where we can go to an amusement park with only one stroller. It would certainly have been easier to have had a double and Tristan definitely tired out during the course of the day, but we survived with just the umbrella stroller. I made the kids stop and pose for a photo just inside the entrance. They grudgingly obliged me, but I could tell they were ready for some action!





Busch Gardens is beautiful, fun and has a contract with Sesame Street. The kids were SO excited to see some of their favorite characters in Kiddie land and ride the Sesame themed rides. Even Bennett could get excited about seeing Elmo everywhere!





And there he was in the flesh! Maura and Tristan were PUMPED! They both still love Elmo, despite his ear piercingly annoying voice! Bennett loves Elmo--in theory and in movies. In person, he was a little overwhelming. He enjoyed looking at Elmo, but there was NO way he was going to touch, get near, or sit on his lap. At least he didn't scream!





If Elmo was scary, Big Bird was terrifying! Bennett hid his face in Brent's shoulder and would not remove it until Big Bird was gone! I loved the big yellow bird! It was like meeting one of my childhood heroes. I LOVED Sesame Street as a child and Big Bird was one of my faves!


Below: I thought I might be able to get away with putting Bennett on the lap of Abby Cadabby--she's a kindlier, gentler pink monster who Bennett was happy to exchange high fives with. No dice. You can't trust someone with pink and purple spiky hair!





Maura had no such qualms! She couldn't wait to hug on Abby! I couldn't help but feel sorry for these characters. It was 100 degrees on that day. I was sweating like crazy in my t-shirt and skirt. I can not imagine how sweltering it would have been to wear a character suit! I think they were only out for meet and greets for five minutes before they went in for breaks. Thankfully, due to the heat, the park was nearly deserted, so we were actually able to meet the characters pretty quickly.





Loved it! Watching my dear ones interact with their little heroes was precious!








I would have LOVED to take more photos of my children enjoying the park, but the camera is just too big and too expensive to lug around all day. After our time in Kiddie Land, Brent took the camera back to the car so that we could lighten our load. We had an awesome day, despite the terribly hot weather. The kids loved visiting all the countries, but honestly I think the highlight of their day might just have been all the Sierra Mist we allowed them to drink. We never let our kids have pop. Never. That day, we bought the souvenir cup and just kept refilling it so that the kids wouldn't dehydrate. They loved it. LOVED it. Sucked it up as quickly as we as we filled it. Bennett screamed every time we tried to take it from him. He is my wild man and he knows what he wants. What he wanted was that sweet Sierra Mist nectar!




Busch Gardens has a surprising number of kid friendly rides. We found at least two or three rides in each country that the kids could ride. We made one of the biggest mistakes of our parenting careers at the park, though. I spied an indoor ride, it was hot, and we made a beeline for it. We did ask the ride operator if the ride was scary and he assured us that it wasn't very scary. Brent and I took turns riding. I went first with Maura and Tristan and Brent waited with Bennett(in the deliciously cool air conditioning). Well, the ride was TERRIFYING! It was a holographic, 4D type ride where they squirted water, blew fire and had holographic demonic characters come right up into your face. Terrifying. Tristan hid his face and Maura took off her 3D glasses and I felt like the world's worst mom! Thankfully, they have never mentioned the incident and we'll be avoiding any and all haunted houses from this point on!




Going to an amusement park without any additional help is a new experience for us. We generally go places like this with family members who can help hold babies and assist at bathroom breaks. Instead, Brent and I had to take turns going on rides with the kids and we took Bennett on some rides that I would never have previously attempted to take a baby. When we rode the Log Jammer ride, he rode front and center with me and got soaked. I'm not sure how much he loved that!




My very favorite event of the day came in the evening when we visited Ireland to see a special puppetry program for the kids and I happened to notice that an Irish Dance program was scheduled to start in just 20 minutes. The kids were exhausted and hot, but we figured we could squeeze in just one more fun event. I'm not sure if they loved it, but I was mesmerized by the flashing feet of those Irish dancers! Awesome!




What an awesome day. We reached our car just as the fireworks went off, sponged bathed with wet wipes, changed the kids into jammies and headed "home." We truly enjoyed our fabulous family time. They kids can't wait to go back to Virginia next year so we can go to Busch Gardens!





post signature

3 comments:

The Four of Us said...

Sounds like it was a lot of fun!

Michael and Hannah said...

Ummm, you know there's a Busch Gardens right down the road from us, right?? And I had to bite my tongue about the amusement park with no help part - we've never ever had that luxury! I am SO adopting your mom! :o)

Anna said...

Hey friend! We just got back from a family vaca ourselves, so it was fun seeing your pics from a great time!