Saturday, September 24, 2011

Back to the Beach...kind of!

My children love the beach and have been begging to go back since we left the Outer Banks. I would have LOVED to indulge them with another beach vacation, but it wasn't going to happen this summer! Instead, I found the next best thing for them--the beach...of a lake. While we were still in Charlottesville, we visited a local park with a lake beach. The kids were thrilled with the huge expanse of sand and water and couldn't wait to get to some sand and water play!

I'll have to say, the lake beach is a lot different than the ocean beach. I didn't think I'd have a problem with it, but it just felt DIRTY! The sand was the coarse brown type, there was goose poop everywhere and the water was that brackish warm temperature that just made me sure we were absolutely bathing in bacteria. I attempted to repress my germaphobic side and just enjoy my beach day with my kids, but I'll have to admit that I pretty much followed them around with sanitizing gel!



Maybe Tristan was trying to avoid hand sanitizer! He LOVED the beach, the water fountain, the fish. He couldn't get enough! We loved watching a boy fish in the shallow water. The kids were SO interested in his bucket of fish. He used his net and scooped up a few minnows for us and the kids loved it. Bennett spent a good portion of the afternoon with his head stuck in the bucket watching the minnows swim around. I think he would have eaten those minnows if I would have allowed it!





Please keep in mind that it was over 100 degrees on the day that we chose to spend at the beach. It was broiling on the sand. For some reason, I believed playing on the beach playground would be fun. I didn't take into account the SCORCHING temperature of the equipment! The kids indulged me with some pirate faces and then we moved back to the warm water.





Back at the room, it was playtime, romper room style. We're such a quiet, sedate family!







Our hotel was in the same parking lot as Dunkin' Donuts. Bad combo! We watched over to the donut shop several times for an afternoon coffee break. It sounded like such a great idea at the time! I made the mistake of buying only one frozen drink to share between us all. Let me just say that Bennett is one demanding little dude. He does NOT understand the concept of taking turns and screams every moment that he's not actively sucking up the sweet nectar from the straw. I felt a lot sorry for the other folks who were trying to enjoy their afternoon coffee break! I kept apologizing to the ladies at the next table, who were very understanding. It may be awhile before I'm ready to endure another "fun" coffee break!


post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Can't beat a hotel right next to a DD! Wish you could have come seen me this summer for some nice clean beach time! Adorable pics though.