Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Dinosaur World

Last Monday on my way back from Tennessee, I wasn't sure if I was going to make it home.  I was travelling alone with both kids and I was SO sleepy!  I had taken some cough medicine with codeine the night before and I think it was still in my system.  I was so worried that I was going to fall asleep while driving.  When Tristan woke up from his car nap at just the right moment, I seized the day and made a spontaneous decision to visit Dinosaur World.  I've passed this place for twelve years on the Bluegrass parkway as I've made my way to my in-law's house and I've never stopped.  It's a true tourist trap in Cave City and like all tourist traps costs an arm and a leg.  I REALLY needed the chance to get out and walk off my medicine head, so I gladly paid the price and we headed in.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was really nice. They had a long shaded walk through the woods with dinos along the way.  They were pretty realistic looking, so it was fun to see them all in the woods.

These raptors looked ready to spring on us! The kids were very interested in all the dinos and Maura wanted to know all their names for the two seconds that she looked at them before running off to the next statue.

Look how huge they were! We don't do too many spontaneous day trips and this was certainly an anomaly to stop in the middle of a long car trip.  I was so glad we did, though!

I told Maura to climb up and look scared.  This was the best she did!  She did get a little worried when I told her that the giant T Rex was going to eat her.  She got a worried look and said, "NO Mommy, he's just pretend!" Brent says this is an anklesaur.  I think he's full of it!

Maura loved petting the triceratops.  She thought the babies were SO CUTE!! It's kind of amazing to think that this is how the world might have looked many thousands of years ago.

Tristan liked riding the baby triceratops. Maura loved the tire swing and spent most of her playground time in it.
.
This T Rex mouth was Maura's favorite attraction.  She's talked about it ever since.  She loved pretending like she was going to eat me. She LOVED pretending like she was going to eat her baby brother!

This good little boy stayed in the stroller the whole time without protest.  It's a good thing too--I'm not sure how I would have held him, pushed the stroller and kept up with Maura if he'd been unhappy! Maura went digging for dino bones and I only had to restrain the sand flinging once!  It was such a fun stop along our trip and I'm glad I did it.  I was able to wake up while we were there and continue our trip with very little hazard to myself or my kids.  So, I guess the moral of the story is that tourist traps can be fun, especially on long drives!


post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

We have one of these one exit down... it's the sister park of the one in Cave City. I have to say that for being in Florida, it's pretty understated! We got annual passes b/c it was only like 5 dollars more than a one day pass. I haven't been back yet though because it's been too hot!