Sunday, April 11, 2010

Awesome Easter

We had such a fun Easter this year. It was the first Easter in three years where we've been in our own home for our own celebration. It was so nice to get to make our own traditions and remember the ones we grew up with.
We planned upon a quiet Easter breakfast at home, but because of my parent's church schedule, we invited Katie, Scott and Emily to have breakfast with us. I loved getting my table set up with all it's Easter finery!
I wanted to start a new Easter tradition this year by making Easter cookies. They're basically meringue cookies to that you leave in the oven to bake overnight. There are bible verses that go with each ingredient. In the morning, you open the oven and eat the cookies and they're hollow inside--just like the empty tomb. Maura loved helping to make the cookies.
When Easter morning dawned, the kids couldn't wait to see if the Easter bunny had visited overnight! I had a hard time keeping them at the top of the stairs long enough to snap a photo!
We opted to let Tristan head down the stairs first--otherwise he would have shooed Maura the whole way down. "Shoo, Mamoo, shoo!"
Tristan found his basket first. Actually, Maura found Tristan's basket first and showed him where the candy was. He didn't have to be told twice!
Maura's basket was harder to find, but she was victorious! The Easter bunny hides the baskets at our house because the Easter bunny hid the basket at my house growing up.
Tristan was happy to show Maura where the good stuff is--we had to intervene to make sure he didn't pillage from her basket!
Daddy with his candy saturated boy.
I enjoyed our Easter morning so much and loved spending it with my sweet kiddos.
My mom always made us bunny bread for Easter morning. I tried to recreate this sweet Easter morning tradition for my kids. Perhaps I need to work on it a bit more for my next Easter breakfast.
The whole crew assembled for a yummy breakfast of eggs, sausage, cream cheese braid and cinnamon rolls. What a way to start the day of gluttony!
We let the kids open their Easter presents from Brent and I at breakfast. Scott couldn't believe how excited Maura got about receiving a book, but this wasn't just any book. Maura LOVES this book and reads it on the computer at the library every single time we go, but we didn't own it. She couldn't wait to read it!
Tristan was so excited to get a Thomas train. I thought it was a shame that this train lovin' man didn't own a Thomas train.
All dressed up with someplace to go. We had just enough time before church to snap two quick photos and load up in the car.
We did take some time after church for some cute photos. Here's Tristan working on his GQ look--as much as you can while wearing a Peter Pan collar.
Lovin' our Easter Sunday morning. We had an awesome Easter service and had lots of fun posing with these sweet kids. My baby belly is very much in evidence.
I could eat these kids up. Tristan no longer desires to participate in photo sessions, but he'll always give his sister a sweet hug!
Maura turned into a little fashion model during this photos shoot and I got some adorable shots of my beautiful girl.
"Mommy, take another picture of me standing on the rocks!"
Sweet flower pickin' girl!
"No Tristan! Don't ACTUALLY pick it! Smell it!"
I wanted a few more photos of the kids, but we had to resort to physical persuasion to get Tristan to participate.
Maura was happy to oblige...
and we got Tristan to participate, but somehow this photo is just creepy to me. It makes me think of the two kids on the Shining. I guess I shouldn't coerce cooperation from now on.
After a quick lunch and naps, we headed over to Grammy and Pappap's house. The kids were so excited about continuing the celebration.
Ready to start the egg hunt. Can you see the determination on their faces?
Sweet Maura was willing to help out her brother during the hunt. She purposefully left eggs for him to find and brought him the Elmo eggs that were designated for him. I was so proud of her unselfish spirit.
Tristan wasn't doing too bad on his own. He loved the thrill of the hunt.
Maura's basket was full to overflowing by the end of the hunt.
Tristan got a bubble lawnmower from Grammy and Pappap as an Easter present. He loved it and has hardly let it out of his sight. We had to take it to Lowes with us this week so he could mow the floors there. He loves to tease his sister with it--she wants so badly to play with it too!
Alexandra loved getting into the egg hunting action. Yes, that's Tristan's chubby arm reaching in to pilfer Alex's eggs! Aunt Lorie with Alexandra on her last first holiday!
The kids found a different sort of Easter present out in the grass. They were both grossed out to find the Easter poop--I don't think it belonged to the Easter bunny. Tristan has his stinker face in place--he couldn't wait to stick his fingers in the bunny cake!
"Hmm, how can I get back to that cake without anyone noticing??" It was truly the perfect end to a perfect day. Thank you, God, for sending your Son so we can experience the joys of celebrating his resserection!

post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Again, you amaze me... bunny bread, sit-down breakfast, all the fun traditions. You're my hero! Love the kiddos in their Easter duds. So pretty!