Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Snow Day!


It snowed today!!! I know that I'm probably too old to get excited about snow, but I just love it!! When Brent woke up at 5:15 this morning to check and see if he had school, he looked out the window and told me that the snow was covering the road. I was so excited that I couldn't go back to sleep! Pitiful, huh? He ended up having the day off and we enjoyed our snow day very much. When Maura got up, we told her about the snow and she couldn't stop looking out the window. Every time I asked if she wanted to go play in the snow, she jumped up and ran to the door like we were going to let her out in her jammies. We finally got ourselves all bundled up and she was so excited about going outside that she even submitted to the scarf and mittens. We made it out the door at 10:12 and she looked down with delight at the snow covering the porch.

She laughed for a minute and talked about the snow and how cold it was.

At 10:13 she took a step and heard the snow crunch under her boot. That was it, the end of the snow enjoyment for Maura. She was no longer excited to be outside and refused to walk another step the entire time we were out there. She needed to be packed around like a baby. Well, at least she's consistent. She has NEVER liked the snow. I wish I could download a picture of her last year in the snow. She screamed and cried like we were torturing her rather than trying to have fun. This snow hating is hard for a snow lover like myself to take, but I figure that maybe I can convert her someday. Otherwise, I'll have to send her down to my friend Hannah, who lives in Florida, to spend her winters!

This is the only place in the yard where we could set her down and she'd be happy. Her little playhouse didn't have any snow inside of it, so she at least got to enjoy that! Her friend Emily came to play in the snow with us too.

Emily is three and wise enough to really enjoy the snow. We had a "big" snowball fight and she has pretty good aim! She managed to get some snow down my collar!


What a cutie. She loves this little house so much.

This is where Maura spent the majority of her time outside. She wanted to sit in the hammock with one of us and be rocked and sang to. So, Brent spent most of his outside time singing Rock a by Baby to her while I had a snowball fight with Emily.

Maura wasn't opposed to touching the snow with her bare skin--just her feet. She was happy to throw snowballs back at us. What a funny child.

Me in all my pregnant glory. These jogging pants were the closest thing to snow pants that I could find that would fit! Look at me, though, I can still zip my coat!!

The girls playing for the two seconds it took Maura to realize that, yes, your feet will touch the ground eventually when you seesaw.


Brent trying to encourage Maura to take a step. She wouldn't even walk the two feet to get to him. For a minute, I was having flashbacks to this time last year when she was learning to walk!

We stayed outside for a grand total of thirty minutes. Well, it was fun while it lasted. The girls decided that two was better than one when it came to jumping on the trampoline.

Maura catching some air. I swear, she's going to hit the ceiling someday. She jumps so high on that little trampoline! Sometimes she loses her balance and says, "Whoa, better hold on!"

Impromptu dance party in our foyer. I think that this is the true essence of childhood; being able to dance like a crazy person even when there's no music playing.

What fun! These guys had quite a morning.

2 comments:

mommy of girls said...

What's up with everyone getting snow but us??? I want to play in the snow! That's hilarious about Maura! But honestly, I think Jenna Claire will probably be the same way. Natalie Kate loves it all. Jenna, however, is a little more tempermental! Hmmm....wonder where she gets that from?

Michael and Hannah said...

Soak it up while you can, because there will be NO SNOW in Florida when you visit in a few weeks!!!