Sunday, January 27, 2008

Water Baby

Sorry to just have the pictures up for so long. I downloaded them on Sunday night and anticipated a day of virtually uninterrupted blogging at work yesterday, but it wasn't meant to be. I woke up with a terrible cold yesterday. I did make it to work, but God blessed me and caused one of the other PA's to make a scheduling error. She was there ready to work for the whole day, and I was ready to go home and crash. So, crash I did and I barely made it out of bed all day. I'm feeling much better today, but I must say that Maura has watched more TV in the past two days than she had in the previous two months. Hooray for sick days, she says!!

This post is supposed to be about how much my girl LOVES swimming. I've been taking her to swimming lessons since she was nine months old and between that and swimming in Grammy and Nan's pools, she's become quite the water baby. She gets so excited when I talk to her about going to the swimming pool and starts trying to undress then and there. This swim session they only had Saturday morning classes available, which is a little different for us. She'll end up missing a couple, but she'll at least get to enjoy a few classes. Daddy sometimes gets to go with us because it's on Saturday now.

I convinced Brent that it would be better for him to get in with her this class because I'm just tired of showing off my big tummy in a bathing suit. It all started well--she couldn't wait to get into the water with Daddy.

Here they go with "one, two, three, go!!"

Suddenly she realizes that Mommy is not in the water with her. This is a strange and unusual occurrence. Though she loves and trusts Daddy, he's just not Mommy.


Maura swimming back to find me. "Mommy in the water." This was supposed to be such a great Daddy and Maura bonding experience, but it's turning into tears because I'm fully dressed on the side taking pictures rather than holding her.

Finally, she's made it to the side where all she wants to do is climb out. Anytime Brent tried to take her from the side, she started crying and trying to swim back. She's turning into a pretty good swimmer, kicking and paddling at the same time.

Not a great picture, but a great example of how she looked in the water ever time she was taken away from the side of the pool.

This is how much she likes her swim instructor. It doesn't matter who teaches the class--she doesn't want them to touch her, hold her or otherwise mess with her. Seconds after I took this picture I went and changed into my swimsuit and joined them in the water so that we could have an enjoyable swim class. She did much better after that. We had a ball swimming in the deep water, then going to the shallow end where she does her best to drown herself every week. I'd be very surprised if she's not swimming on her own by the end of this summer. She simply has no fear. We tell her to go under the water, and she dips her entire head in the water. Such a funny girl. She's truly a water baby.

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

I'm impressed! Wesley cries if just a tiny bit of water gets in his eyes in the tub! I'm such a horrible mom for not having him in swim lessons already since we live in Florida. We need to join the Y but it's soooo expensive here! Cannot WAIT to see you soon!