Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Last Day of School

I truly didn't know what to expect when I signed Maura up for school this year. I had hoped that she would mature socially, make some friends, and perhaps learn a little something along the way. I truly didn't expect the enthusiasm which she approached every school day, the pride when she taught me something that she had learned, and the excitement at bringing home projects and homework. I loved watching my baby experience school for the first time. She grew so much this year. She LOVED cooking and art the most and every single Thursday would regale me with tales of her accomplishments. I am so proud of my Maura. She amazes me every single day. I'm so sad that her first year of school is already over. She'll be back in preschool again this coming year, so I get to experience it all over again, this time with my little man in tow.
Tristan, Aunt Katie, Daddy, Grammy and I were on hand for her final Preschool program. It was so special for Maura to have so many loved ones there for her special day.
What a difference five months makes! Back in December for Maura's Christmas program, Maura got up on stage, stood straight and tall, looked out at the crowd and sang not a single word. This time, I talked with Maura in advance about what to expect. We sang her songs in advance and I figured that I had done all I could. This time, she was so excited about the program. She came bouncing into the auditorium, hopped right up on stage, and proceeded to sing like a star through all her songs. SO PROUD!
This song brought tears to my eyes. It was just Skin-ee-Mer-Inky-Dinky-Dink(sp?), which I've heard a million times, but Maura looked STRAIGHT at us the whole time and when she got to the "I love you" part, she pointed straight at us. This is a song that my grandfather used to sing all the time and seeing my sweet girl that song with such feeling made this hormonal pregnant momma want to cry!
Pointing to her momma, "I LOVE YOU!" After she got down from the stage, she ran straight to us and said, "I sang my song to you, Mommy!" So precious.
Mrs. Patty was on hand to close out the school year and graduate the kids who were leaving for Kindergarten next year.
Maura and her teacher Miss Lisa. Miss Lisa took a personal interest in Maura this year and she always gave me a very detailed description of her day. I only ever got one "bad" report from school, and it was on a day that she was really sad. Every other day, I got a glowing report about how helpful and enthusiastic she'd been.
Miss Angela and my girl. Maura absolutely loved her teachers. When I asked her what we should get her teachers for the end of school gift she said she wanted to give them heart shaped chocolate. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find heart shaped chocolate in May? I managed to find some and Maura LOVED giving her teachers their gifts.
Maura was well praised and so proud of herself. She loved spending time with Grammy and Aunt Katie after the performance. Daddy was able to take the day off and be with us that morning, however Tristan was really not feeling well, so he stayed for the performance and then took my little sickie home. Later we realized that he had hand foot and mouth disease. Ooops.
We headed over to a local park for a picnic and Maura loved posing with Mr. Sam. Maura learned so much about the bible from Mr. Sam this year.
My precious girl, finished with her first year of preschool. It was so bittersweet to celebrate this milestone with her and I guarantee I'll cry next year when she actually graduates!

post signature

2 comments:

Michael and Hannah said...

What a big girl!! That Miss Patty looks familiar!

Anna said...

Poor Tristan!! I hope he is better. Luke had his last day today... and tomorrow is Luke's!! Can't believe it...