Thursday, June 3, 2010

Surprise!!

I love surprises. Good surprises, I mean. There's just something about that moment of absolute shock and jubilation that just gets me every time. I love to be surprised at Christmas and birthday time and Brent generally lets me know exactly where my presents are so I don't accidentally stumble across them. I never peek. I'd rather be surprised! When my sister came up with a plan for a huge surprise way back in March, I was all in. We were thinking ahead to come up with a unique gift for my mom's birthday. Lorie suggested tickets to the musical Wicked, which came to Louisville in May. We all agreed that this would be a great gift, but then her brainstorm went even further. She thought it would be great to contact two of my aunts to see if they would fly down for the weekend and attend the play too. AWESOME idea. The aunts agreed, and a major conspiracy was born!
On Saturday the 15th, we drove up to Louisville to pick up Aunt Barbara and Aunt Betty from the airport. It was awesome to see them and get to hang out with them for a few hours before we were to meet up with my parents. We generally see my aunts about once a year, so we had lots of family gossip and stories to catch up on over lunch.
Katie, Aunt Betty, Micah, Lorie, Aunt Barbara and Alexandra at the Falls of the Ohio. Alex is wearing one of my favorite dresses that Maura had at that age. Made me nostalgic!
We then proceeded over to The Melting Pot to surprise my mom. I think the look on her face says it all. We had Mom and Dad seated toward the back of the restaurant so they wouldn't see us come in. When we came up to the table, the aunts went one way around a partition, and we went the other. Aunt Barbara walked up to Mom and said, "Excuse me, could we join you?" Pure shock on my Mom's face!
We all thought Mom would cry, but I think she was too shocked to even cry. She just kept saying, "Oh my GOSH!" She couldn't understand why we were all there, and how we all got there. We stayed for a few minutes to bask in the glow of our successful surprise and then left the aunts with Mom and Dad for a really fun evening of dining and theater. LOVED it! It was so much fun being a part of this. Thanks, Lorie, for all the work you put in to make it happen!
On to another sort of surprise altogether. I've been really lucky so far with my kids. They definitely have access to pencils, pens and crayons on a regular basis, but we've had very few instances of writing utensils being misused. Well, Tristan discovered a crayon the other day and went to town on the woodwork. He came soon after to gloat upon his work. I couldn't be angry with him--I'd left the crayons out. I just talked with him about what is and what is NOT appropriate to write upon and then scrubbed it up with a magic eraser. Now, if it were only that easy to take other things out...

post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

So glad the surprise went off so well! You told me about the plan when I was there in March... what a great gift for your mom!!