Friday, April 8, 2011

Maura's Big Day

My precious girl is five. How is that even possible??? My kids are growing up so quickly that it makes me sad. Of course I'm happy on their birthdays, but I always feel a touch of sadness and nostalgia to realize that this is the last day they'll ever be this age. I love my kids and their childhood so much and I feel like it's slipping away oh so quickly. Enough of the sadness, this was a really great day. Maura was SO excited and happy when I wished her a happy birthday just after she woke up. She had some purple balloon and a chocolate muffin and all was right with the world. She's a whole hand now and she's proud of it!

I had MOPS on Maura's birthday and really didn't want to miss it. Maura loves Moppets, but just didn't want to go on her birthday. We came up with a stellar compromise that everyone was happy with. Aunt Katie was in town, so she came and picked up Maura, took her to breakfast at McDonalds and then took her to the children's museum. Perfect. They had so much fun together! Katie took her camera with her to document the day.

Apparently Maura had lots of fun in the bubble room and kept popping other kids' bubbles. Hmm. We'll have to work on our group cooperation skills! She came home with a rubber snake and lots of stories about all the fun they'd had. We were ready to celebrate!! That evening, we had a family party because I knew that she'd be having so much fun with her friends the next day that she might not even realize that her family was at the party. We had pizza and brownies and made her a very happy girl!

Did I mention that she was THRILLED that it was her birthday. She asked me every day for at least two weeks before her big day how many days were left until her birthday. She could not keep still, so was so wiggly with excitement. Add to that all of her relative and some sugar and she was one keyed up little girl! She loved blowing out those five candles!

My big five year old. I can hardly believe it. It seems like I brought my tiny baby home from the hospital yesterday. She is so big all the sudden and knows so many things. She has strong opinions and emotions. She loves her brothers fiercely and will fight just as fiercely with Tristan. She is so smart--her questions and vocabulary often blow my mind! She does great with all her scripture memorization and vocabulary words. She is so close to being able to read. She can sound out a lot of words and writes notes to me that she writes phonetically. She loves school and has been doing a great job with all her schoolwork. She loves science, nature and fantasy. She wants to be a scientist when she grows up and the thing she wanted most for her birthday was a microscope. What can I say, she's a little nerd like her momma and daddy!! I love all her imaginations. She's always pretending to be something, a dragon, a bird, a kitty, you never know what kind of animal you'll be approaching when you come to see her. She also loves art projects of all kinds--at every nap time she asks to do an art project. I try really hard to come up with an art project or school work for her to do every afternoon. She's really getting to be a big helper and can usually be counted on to run errands or deliver things when I need help with the baby. Most of the time she's really fun to be around, but she's starting to develop an attitude! I'm not looking forward to that at all. She loves reading and we've been doing some chapter books for the past few months. Her current favorite is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. We allowed her to watch the movie last night and she loved it so much that she wants to watch it again. Maura is currently crazy about kitties and is begging for a baby kitten. I have a feeling it'll be a few more years before I'll grant that request! We don't currently have Maura in any sports, but we may try soccer this spring and she's begging to do gymnastics. I can't wait for the warm weather so that she can swim to her little heart's content. We have Maura registered for kindergarten, but have not completely made up our mind about schooling for her. We may end up homeschooling, but I'm having a hard time agreeing to that course of action. I doubt my own abilities to be that organized and dedicated to her schooling. I'll have more on that debate to come.

Maura loved having all her relatives at her party, especially Alexandra. It'll be her turn to have a birthday very soon! Maura got a digital camera for her birthday and just loved it! She's taking photos of everything these days!

We loved celebrating with Grammy and Pappap. It was especially special to celebrate with Pappap as he had flown in from Japan just that morning. Japan had been rocked by the huge earthquake and tsunami just fifty minutes after my Dad's plane took off. We all hugged him a little tighter when we saw him!

The next morning, before the party she looked so beautiful that I had to take some photos. She was fairy spectacular!! What a beautiful girl! I love her so much!! Happy fifth birthday big girl!


post signature

1 comment:

Anna said...

Oh happy birthday to Maura!!!