Below: Maura was pretty excited about her firetruck visit too! She found a real fire hat in the truck and tried it on for size. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have been able to hold her head up if she had actually strapped it on!

Maura's Rainbow Riders class had an impromptu dance party on the back of the firetruck. That's Rachel, Avery, Londyn, Maura, Eli and Amelia. Most of these kids have been together in class for the past three years. We're going to miss this crew! We loved our Fire Safety day and one of our children's favorite dinner time activities now is being quizzed over fire safety tips! Maura even likes to practice Stop, Drop and Roll! I guess you can never have too much fire safety awareness!
Monday, April 25, 2011
Fire Safety Day
Tristan has LOVED preschool this year. I truly did not know what to expect when I signed him up this year. He's not exactly a child who likes to sit still and listen to a teacher, and up until this year was not a child who enjoyed being dropped off anywhere. Things could have gone really badly with his introduction to preschool and I was fully anticipating having to pull him out of school after the first few weeks if he didn't make a good transition. Thankfully, he has LOVED every minute. He frequently asks in the morning if it's a school day and he gets very disappointed on Tuesdays when Maura goes to school without him. He loves his teachers, Ms. Sharon and Ms. June and he likes being part of a class. From what I hear from the cooking teacher, he REALLY loves Cooking because it also involves eating! There are so many fun activities each day and now that the weather is finally nice, he's enjoying playground time at school. All this pales in comparison to the last school day in March. It was community helpers month and the fire truck showed up at school. There's nothing like a shiny red firetruck to get that little boy heart pumping! He was so excited!!
We had to go to school all decked out in our firetruck shirt, yellow rain slicker and fire hat. He talked about this event ALL WEEK leading up to our Thursday school day. I wasn't sure how it could possibly live up to his expectations, but I believe it did. He insisted on wearing his fire hat backwards. I wasn't sure why at first, but I think he thought the brim should go in the front. Smart. I guess that makes sense!

All the kids(around forty!) gathered in one room to see the fireman. One gentleman went over fire safety while the other got all dressed up in his gear. He kept taking his mask on and off to show the kids that he was still just himself underneath. He got down on the floor to crawl through the rows of kids so they could see him up close and personal and hopefully not be scared of him in the event that they had a fire. That's Maura's head to the right of the fireman. I don't think she knew what to think!

After the fireman's demonstration, it was time for each class to go see the firetruck. Tristan's class was first and I was so glad because I'm not sure if he could have waited!! As you can see, he was among the first in line to get into the truck and he was anxious to get up there! He was so proud of himself!

My little fireman! He's such a cutie! I love that he loves all the classic little boy things; cars, fire trucks, tractors are his things!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment