Monday, January 21, 2008

Under Construction


I'm so EXCITED!! We finally started working on the baby's room! Over Christmas break, we began the process of moving all non-baby items from out of the guest bedroom and into the office. While this may sound like a simple process, it was, in fact, excruciating. We basically had to combine two very cluttered room into an empty room and one even more cluttered room. We've thrown so much stuff away that the garbage men are going to start boycotting if we don't stop soon! It took weeks and weeks before we were able to regain enough order in our household to actually start on the room. This weekend, we were supposed to travel to Pennsylvania to visit my grandparent, but an expected snowstorm cancelled our plans and allowed us to think home improvement instead. Hooray! My wonderful, talented, and extremely patient husband buckled down and got to work early Saturday. As always, I can't do anything simply. It would have been too easy to just paint a wall. Instead, I opted for a three color scheme which involved three different episodes of taping the entire room with the help of a laser level and nine(yes, nine) different coats of paint. I love my husband!

Here's the room in the midst of the job. I forgot to take a true before picture, but I think you can kind of gather from this picture how truly ghastly the job of organizing was. This is all of it just shoved in the middle to allow for painting.

The AFTER picture. Keep in mind that this is still all in transition. We're still deciding on whether that dresser stays or goes and whether or not to recover the glider rocker. I don't love gliders, I will not lie. This one was such a great deal on Craigslist that I couldn't pass it up. We may still find something we like better, much to Brent's dismay.

The crib and changing table. I wish you could see the bedding a little more clearly. I'll make sure to get a better picture in a later post. It's an adorable cream, khaki, blue and white stripe.
I still need to get some bins to go under the changing table too and a cute changing pad and cover.

The view from the doorway. Doesn't it just look like such a cozy boy room? I can't wait to bring home our little guy to this super cool room. We're thinking about painting a primitive looking flag on the wall over the crib and using sticker stencils on the wall over the changing table and possibly the dresser. So, there's still a lot of work to do, I'm just glad we got it started!


The view from the corner. I feel like there's a lot of empty space, but I have to remember that it'll get filled up with toys awfully quickly. Our little man will be here in less than 16 weeks.

I couldn't do a post without some pictures of my sweet girl. Here she is in one of her favorite new activities "Hanging out." It means just what it sounds like. She climbs up on a kitchen chair, scoots off of it and onto her belly on the table, then just lets her legs dangle. I'm not sure what the appeal is here, possibly just the heart attack it gives her mother when I look over to see her suspended in midair?

This is how it looks. Really uncomfortable if you ask me. She seems to think it's hilarious and does it all the time. Also, you see her preferred method of dressing--no socks. I freeze to death just looking at that!

Hanging out on Daddy's leg. It doesn't have to be on the table. This girl will hang out anywhere!

Too cute. Daddy, daughter time. She jeopardizes Brent's time as soon as he walks in the door each day. The poor guy doesn't usually even have a chance to change before he's asked to read a book or play a game. What can I say, she loves the guy and I do too!!

2 comments:

mommy of girls said...

I love the room!!! It's too cute and will be perfect for a boy. I told you it was a boy...Shelly Wu is usually right on target!! I can't wait to meet the lil guy.

Michael and Hannah said...

Love the new baby furniture... Welcome to the Two Crib Club! You should get a star stencil and paint stars all over the room and on the ceiling. I LOVE rooms with a painted ceiling! Looks great already though!