Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The Many Ways to Wear a Hat

We got a cool box in the mail yesterday from Brent's brother Matt who is currently stationed in Afghanistan. Matt had informed us that he'd sent a box containing a coat for Maura as well as some Afghan clothing items for Brent to share with his classes. Well, it came yesterday and it was so much fun to go through it and see all different items. There was a wool tunic, a scarf, a funny mushroom shaped hat, an embroidered cap and a leather and fur coat for Maura. When she woke up this morning, I showed her all the clothing and she immediately was attracted to the cap. This was really funny to me because she has absolutely hated hats in the past.(Reference Florida Trip Part 1 for her previous views on hats!) She started playing with the cap and I had to grab my camera and get some pictures. She was so funny!!
This was her favorite thing to do. She'd put it up there, then lean down just enough for it to slip off her head, then laugh uproariously and say, "I CRAZY!" We did this over and over and over again. Pretty soon, she had me in stitches!
Demonstrating how charming it looks hanging on the ear.
What a cool character. I promise you people, I do comb this child's hair, even though it doesn't ever look that way in the pictures!
What a sweet smile. This is the back of the head style of wearing.

Is it dark??
Maybe if I just put it on straight...
NOPE, just too big right now. Look at those baby blues. Brent came home from school and taught her the Russian dance where the guys fold their arms and kick out their legs. She was so cute trying to sing the little song and kick her legs at the same time. She literally played with this hat the whole day.
This is my attempt at getting Maura to try on the beautiful little coat that Uncle Matt sent. She took one look at it when I took it from the box and told me, "No yike it." I persisted in trying to at least try it on to see how big it was on her, and ...
She acted as if I had put a coat full of ants on her!! She couldn't get it off fast enough!! Thankfully, the coat is about two sizes too big and by the time she fits in to it she'll LOVE the thought of having a real fur coat! Thanks Uncle Matt--we love it(well, at least Brent and I do!)


Wearing the hat and scarf and looking like an Afghan princess!! What a fun cultural experience!

2 comments:

mommy of girls said...

Isn't it funny the things kids latch on to??? Maybe she'll be a hat model one day??? That coat is adorable! Go on Uncle Matt!

Michael and Hannah said...

You are rock'n the blog! I wish I had your dedication right now... I've still got to go back and do a make-up post from your trip here to Florida! I got your letters in the mail when I got back. Your invite to Maura's party was SO Julie. You make everything BIG and fun!!!