Saturday, March 29, 2008

Spring Has Sprung!

It's springtime in Kentucky! The crocuses and daffodils have been out for about two weeks now, but I really don't think it starts to look like spring until the trees start budding. When you look out of your windows and start to see that tint of green on the trees, you know spring has finally arrived. The days have still been fairly cool and the nights downright cold, but spring is definitely on it's way. Whenever we get to this time of year, it always reminds me of my grandfather. He was a silly guy and was always singing some funny tune or another, but the one I think of in the springtime just gets stuck in my head. Around this time of year, he'd start to sing a nonsense tune that went something like this: "Spring has sprung, the grass is riz, I wonder where the birdies is?" So completely grammatically incorrect, but I sing it to Maura nonetheless! Pappap passed away in August of last year, but his songs will live forever!
Pappap Carnes, Me, Maura and Mom in September of 2006. Maura was six months old and Pappap decided(at 85 years of age) to jump in the car and drive himself down to Kentucky. We appreciated the visit, but promised that WE would do the driving from then on.
This weekend, Brent and I took the opportunity to have one last getaway before the baby comes. I had asked Mom and Dad to watch Maura overnight so that we could attend a party, but then I started thinking that I'd really like to stay somewhere special for the night. I called spur of the moment and booked us a room at a bed and breakfast. We had gone away for a weekend just a few weeks before Maura was born and I have such great memories from that weekend. I just really wanted a night away before all the night feedings and diaper changes start up. It was wonderful to get away, if only for a few hours.
We stayed at the Lyndon House Bed and Breakfast, which is right on North Broadway in Lexington. It was beautiful and welcoming. The house was built in the 1880's but it's been completely renovated to be really comfy.
They just don't build them like this anymore. Our room was the top left hand room.
We stayed in the Shaker Suite for the night and it was so nice to walk into a room devoid of clutter and kids toys. It makes you relax immediately.

We even had a little sitting area with a TV.
And...a nice clean bathroom that I didn't have to clean!
Horrible people that we are, we chose to forgo the party in favor of some alone time together. We so rarely get to go on a "date" together without lugging around a two-year-old and all the gear that that entails. We went all out and went to Malone's and had the best steaks ever! I really overdid it on the food and boy did I regret it later. I forget that I need to have room for breathing, a baby and a full stomach in there. Sometimes that stomach feels a little squished!
OK, here's an obligatory belly shot. I was really faithful to take one every month when I was pregnant with Maura, but then never did anything with the pictures. This is the actual "first" belly shot I've done with this baby. I'm 33 weeks pregnant in this picture. I feel like I can't possibly get any bigger!!
After breakfast at the Lyndon house we enjoyed hearing all the innkeepers stories about renovating the place. It was beautiful and we really enjoyed our relaxing mini-break.
The pictures below are from Wednesday afternoon. It was beautiful outside, almost 70 degrees and I just HAD to get out in it. Brent has been teaching a college class on Wednesdays, so I decided to do something special with Maura in the afternoon while daddy was gone. When she woke up from her nap, I told her that we were going to the playground for a picnic. She was so excited! She said, "OK, change into play clothes!" Only the child of a truly neurotic woman would be concerned about changing into play clothes when faced with the prospect of the playground! So, change we did and we headed out the door. On the way out, I said, "OK, we're going to the park!" She had an immediate meltdown. I had a hard time understanding why until I was able to decipher, "No, want to go the playground." Yes, it's a matter of semantics, but I finally was able to make her understand that the playground IS AT the park!

Maura loved crawling through the tunnel at the playground. She just couldn't understand why I wouldn't come through with her! Mommy's belly just isn't going to allow for that anymore!

Driving the firetruck. This particular playground is just about a mile from our house, but it isn't my favorite. We'll drive a little farther next time for a better playground.
Just enjoying the nice day. We did picnic on jelly sandwiches and grapes. Maura was so distracted by the birds and the squirrels that she had a hard time eating. After dinner, we went over to the big kids side of the playground and Maura climbed up the biggest slide that I think I've ever seen. I bet it was 25 feet tall and it swirled around and around. I couldn't reach her anymore, but I told her to sit down when she got to the top and off she went! She loved it, but it made me REALLY nervous! She's a little daredevil. I wish I had had my camera for that!

2 comments:

mommy of girls said...

What fun mommy/daughter time! Won't be long til you'll have a little guy in tow, so I'm glad you are making some fun time for you and Maura.

mommy of girls said...

What fun mommy/daughter time! Won't be long til you'll have a little guy in tow, so I'm glad you are making some fun time for you and Maura.