Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chopping off Goldylock's locks

Last Wednesday, we had big adventures in store. We went to play with our friends Rachel, Avery and Jentry in the morning, then met Brad and Emily for lunch. I think there is a good possibility that my children singlehandedly persuaded them never to have children! Having lunch with a child has a way of doing that!

We ate at Chipotle near campus and it's definitely not set up for children. We squeezed four adults and two kid into the tiny booth and Maura kept squirming all over the place. Tristan fussed for his food, and between the two of them, I had a real handful! Brad and Mom enjoying a rare moment of quiet when the kids were all fed! We left from there and went to the hair salon.


Maura was marginally excited about her haircut. We'd been talking about it all week and she knew we were cutting it short. At first, she told me she didn't want her hair cut off, but we talked about it and about how she doesn't like having it brushed or fixed and she finally agreed that it would be a good thing. We went to a great kids hair salon nearby and she was so excited to get to choose her chair and watch a movie while they did it. I was really sad to get all her hair cut off, because I knew it would make her look like such a big girl, but I was tired of the daily struggle over hair brushing, so I knew it was just time. Here's the before picture.
We had the same stylist that we had at her first haircut and she was really patient with my girl. Maura wasn't sure about having all these clips in her hair, but she was distracted from that when the stylist gave her a squirt bottle and let her spray water everywhere. Magic!



Can you see the nozzle aimed straight for me? Oh, yes, I was a target!

Look at that face. She was not so sure about having her bangs trimmed.

The finished product. SOOO cute. This picture really doesn't do it justice. Her hair went from stringy and unkempt to always looking cute. I really don't even have to brush it much in the morning to make it look good. She's so proud of her short hair too and she likes to say that her haircut looks like Mommy's. She told me that she really likes it because no hair gets in her mouth while she eats! I think we'll be keeping it short for awhile, until she is more cooperative with hair styling. I'm so glad we cut it! Brent hasn't seen it yet, so we'll see what he thinks of it. I'm sure he'll think his baby girl looks adorable no matter what. I just had to tack some pictures on the end from Tuesday when we got our(Grammy's) Christmas tree. We went to the Christmas tree farm and picked it out. It's the same place that Brent and I always go for our Christmas tree, so it was a little sad to be there without him and to know that I was picking out a tree for someone else's home. Here's Grammy and Maura posing by our tree.



It was really cold, but the kids were good sports. We didn't spend much time looking for a tree. We walked out into the field and picked the first decent one we saw. There's just no romance in the tree hunt if you're freezing your buns off.

My little pyromaniac complained about the cold, so I let her stand by the fire. She was mesmerized and I had to keep reminding her to stay back.

Our annual Christmas tree picture. They take photos of all their customers every year and you can get your photo the next year when you return for another tree. It's really fun to hunt for your photo from a year ago. It really felt like Christmas once we got our tree. Let the festivities begin!



post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

YOU DID IT!!! Love the haircut! I'm jealous of all those fun times you're having with Rachel, etc... but not of the cold weather!! Hurry to see me here in the land of warmth!