Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Deja Vu

I thought it was impossible with our move to Georgia, but for the second year in a row we experienced a March snowstorm. Keep in mind that I haven't spied even a single flake of snow prior to Sunday morning. It's been an incredibly mild winter up to this point and on Saturday evening, we sat out on our patio with friends and watched our kids play out in the yard with short sleeved shirts on. Imagine our surprise when we woke up on Sunday morning to find it sleeting. By the time we left for church, the ground was already covered. Everyone at church was so excited because it apparently hasn't snowed for at least eight years! The kids couldn't contain themselves and they ran outside right after church to play. When we returned from church, we had about three inches of snow at our house. I couldn't wait to get out and play in it, but Maura was so tired that she didn't want to go out. What we didn't know is that she was really sick, so we just put her to bed and I hoped it wouldn't melt before we could get out to play.
Little man checking out his first snowfall. He loved watching me throw snowballs at the door. When Maura finally woke up from her nap, she still didn't feel well, but really wanted a snowman. I told her that I'd go out and make her a small snowman. It didn't really take too much convincing to get me to go out in the snow. I love snow!
Throwing snowballs at my kids. BULLSEYE!

Eventually, Maura's curiosity got the better of her and she decided to come out for a few minutes. She was excited about crunching in the snow. Actually, it was kind of like slushing in the snow, because it was already starting to melt. Maura helped me make our snowman. She was so proud!
Enjoying the first snowfall of the year and Tristan's first snowfall ever! Daddy and his girl, taking a break from hitting me with snowballs!
Our finished snowgirl! Tristan wasn't sure what to think about all of this.

Maura loved looking at the snowgirl and she's watched her melt all day. I really should take a picture of the snowgirl now--she's not much more than a small lump of slushy ice.

Tristan wasn't really dressed well enough to be put down in the snow to check it out, so we let him sit at the door and play in the snow at the entrance. He wasn't really sure what to think about that cold wet stuff.

"Hmm
, what do I do with it?"
"Taste it?"
"BRAIN FREEZE!!!!"

To add to the excitement of an already exciting day, our electricity went off as we were out playing in the snow. It would blink back on every once in awhile and give us false hope before disappearing again. We were ill equipped to deal with power outages with only one flashlight, but we lit lots of candles and microwaved our dinner in one five minute interlude of power. We made a fire and had smores before heading to bed early. It was kind of like camping and we had a great time. We realized just before bed that the flush and the heat of Maura's skin wasn't a result of sitting too close to the fire. She had a 103.5 degree fever. I was tempted to take her to the emergency room, but knew the roads would be bad and didn't know if the ER would have power. In the end, we treated her at home and I was glad we did. We found out the next day that she had an ear infection and she's now on the road to recovery, but it was really scary to deal with a health issue when everything else was in turmoil too. Well, so ends the March 1st Georgia snowstorm. The snow is almost completely gone now and we'll be back up in the sixties by the end of the week. Too weird!!


post signature


1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Sorry for all the turmoil! I know it's scary not to have power. Ralph and Patricia's church actually cancelled services... I'm impressed that you guys still had church! My poor kids will never see snow. -sigh-