
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Ahh, summer.
I love summer. I mean, I LOVE it with all the giddy excitement of a schoolgirl getting out of school for the year. I can't wait to swim, eat watermelon and experience all the summer activities we can pack into our jam packed few months before Brent heads back to school. This year, we actually sat down with a calender to figure out how to fit it all in. We have big plans that include camping, the zoo, and several weekend trips. Now that our summer is already half over, I'm starting to feel the anxiety that we won't be able to fit it all in, but I'll still enjoy every moment I can. One of our fun summer events a few weeks back was a trip to Jacobson Park for Free Friday Flicks. They screen a newly released "kid's movie" there every Friday in the summer. Unfortunately, "kids" movie is up for interpretation, if you know what I mean! We met our friends Hannah, Wesley, and Anna Kate at the park. Tristan and Anna Kate got up close and personal! It's cute now, but this is going to have to stop before he gets to be a teenager. This boy will kiss anyone and anything!

Tristan came face to face with a llama and wasn't sure that he cared too much for it! He didn't cry, but he also didn't stick around to pet it! Maura and Tristan loved feeding the animals.

Our family enjoying the general ambiance of the evening, before the movie started with it's blood, guts and talk about murder. We didn't stay too long! We enjoyed spending the evening with Wesley, Hannah and Anna Kate, though!
!
Later that week, we babysat Wesley and Anna Kate while Hannah went to lunch. We pressed them into service and made them wash our car...But, then we took them all to get ice cream! Waiting in line, not so patiently, for ice cream. We love our Brusters!

Wesley isn't really sure about this cone with eyes! Maura was excited, though!!

The kids were posing with their loot! We had just seconds before melted ice cream was coursing down their arms. They loved every minute. Well, except for when I hosed them down with a garden hose just prior to popping them back in the car!

Tristan with his empty cone. Wesley managed to drop his right after sitting down, so he inherited Tristan's scoop. Tristan is still young enough that he didn't notice or care! That same evening, we did something that I've been wanting to do for a long time--go camping! Brent and I enjoy camping, but haven't attempted it for several years. The last time we went, I was pregnant with Maura! We figured that our first post-kid camping event should probably occur within the confines of our own backyard, just in case we needed to back out at the last moment. My loving and patient husband carted all the gear downstairs and set it up in the backyard while I made hobo packs for the grill. They kids were thrilled to be "camping!" As you can see, we were really roughing it with the highchair outside. We thought it was best to keep Tristan from walking over and putting his hands on the charcoal grill.

Maura couldn't wait to sleep on the air bed. I was a little less enthusiastic to announce to her that she was not, in fact, sleeping on the airbed. She had the thin foam pad at the end of the air bed. Still, her enthusiasm undampened, she proceeded to jump on the air bed. Tristan loved it too, especially when I "threw" him down on it!

We enjoyed hanging out in the tent, despite the fact that it was still 90 degrees at 7pm. After a quick bath and bedtime for Tristan(in the house) we made some smores. Mmmmm. My favorite. I ate a smore almost every night when I was pregnant!

Looks like someone inherited my love of smores.Brent worked hard to get our smores cooked, which was no easy task considering our equipment!

As soon as it got dark, Brent and I hid reflectors and let Maura find them with her flashlight. She LOVED this game and played it for well over an hour. My girl LOVED her whole camping experience and she wants to do it again. I think we will, but we'll just have to be prepared for the fact that she doesn't go to sleep until well after 11pm and keeps me up tossing and turning all night long. Not exactly the world's best night of sleep, but I wouldn't trade these experiences with my little girl for anything! AND, another camp out definitely means more smores!


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Aww, such cute little friends you have!! ;o) So glad we got to be a part of your summer! We love you guys!
Post a Comment