Sunday, July 12, 2009

Happy Birthday America!

Yes, I'm aware that it is no longer the 4th of July. I'm struggling, folks, to keep up lately! Perhaps it's that I post a few too many photos???? I simply can't stand to NOT share an impossibly adorable photo of my kiddies! We really had so much fun in Vegas, and I took way too many photos, so they're GETTING posted! On our second day in Vegas, my children chose to wake up early. As in 6 am. This, coupled with the fact that we adults had stayed up late talking, meant that Brent and I were both a little groggy getting up and about. We did manage to make it out the door and down to the park with both kids and their bathing suits in tow to try out the splash pad for the first time. Amazingly, no one else was at the splash pad at 6:30 in the morning! We had the place to ourselves, and the kids had a great time checking it out. Tristan is like a bull in a china shop--he charges ahead and checks everything out. Maura is a bit more timid and takes some talking to to get her to try new things, but both kids had a blast.

Tristan looks like such a big boy now, walking almost everywhere. He still loses his balance and falls a lot, but most exploration is taking place on his two feet instead of on hands and knees. I miss my baby, but my back is loving that I don't have to lug him everywhere anymore! He does NOT want to be carried--he prefers to check things out on his own, thank you very much! Tristan is going to be my little engineer. He checks everything out to figure out how it works, and this strategy got him sprayed in the face quite a few times at the splash park. Notice his hair--it was completely flat most of the time we were in Vegas. I guess those curls only come out in response to humidity.

Maura wouldn't go near the palm trees that poured down water. She said that the raindrops were too big. As you can see, Tristan had no such qualms! He practically drowned himself--with no standing water to be seen! Daddy even got in on the action and ran through with the kids. That water was COLD!! I managed to stay mostly dry and just watch all the antics.

Later that morning, we went with Aunt Amy and Ava to a gymnastics place for open gym. Amy came up with all sorts of activities for us while we were there--for which I'm eternally grateful! I like to GO GO GO on vacation! Maura LOVED the gym. We're really going to have to get her into a class. She's still talking about the party that her friend Sarah had at a gym way back in December! Maura loved having Nan and Poppa there to show off for.

The FOAM PIT! Maura almost had a meltdown at the beginning of her time at the gym because she really wanted to use the foam pit and the kids were supposed to be playing in a different area of the gym. I managed to get her to calm down with the promise that they'd get there by the end of class. She was so excited to get to run and jump into the pit and to hang suspended from a bar and fall into the pit. At the end of class, the "teacher" made them all line up, sit down and put their hands on their knees to get stamps and gummy bears. I was shocked by how well they all listened. I'm REALLY going to have to get her into a gymnastics class!

After naps, we headed over to Uncle Matt and Aunt Brenda's house. They actually let Maura hold the bird. I couldn't believe how gentle she was with it. So cute. She was just enchanted with the idea that she had a bird standing on her finger! Giving Kissifur kisses. She loved this bird. Tristan did too, but he would have squished it in seconds if I had let him get close!

Swimming with Daddy. Mommy--taking it easy! We loved having access to the pool on the hot Vegas days. It was 105 degrees a lot of the days we were out there.

Happy Fourth of July! Aunt Amy had a fun activity planned for the kids. We dipped pretzel rods in white chocolate and let the kids decorate them with sprinkles. They LOVED it! It was a perfect "cooking" project for kids. Uncle Brent and Ava. Look at her concentration! She really wanted to get this right!

Maura demonstrating the quadruple dip method. The whole gang enjoying ourselves. Maura and Ava were having lots of fun together. They really got along well all week. What a blessing!

="">
Ava is such a great cook! Thanks, Aunt Amy, for the fun activity!

We let the kids go swimming after naps. Ava modeled her cool beach apparel. Funny kids! They had such a great time playing together. Tristan and Ava are only six months apart and I have a feeling they'll have lots of fun and mischief in the future! This was such a cute photo--until I actually snapped the picture--at which point Maura started shoving Ava off the bike

We celebrated Uncle Matt's birthday on the Forth of July. His birthday isn't until the 6th, but we were all together and figured it was a good time. He got a clown cupcake!

Aunt Brenda with Bambi, enjoying the Forth of July cupcakes. Pretty soon, it was fireworks time! We went ahead and put Tristan to bed because he was so sleepy, but Ava and Maura stayed up for the display. Amy's house is less than a mile from a casino and they put on an awesome display complete with music. From the very beginning of the fireworks, Ava cried and covered her face. She was so cute, though--she watched the whole fireworks display through her fingers!
Enjoying the show and celebrating the men and women who protect our freedom and make our lifestyle possible. Beautiful!

="">

Happy Forth of July everyone! I love to reflect on what a great nation we live in, despite our differences. I'm proud of our country and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. We are able to experience freedoms here that the rest of the world only dreams of. Thank you to the members of the armed forces and especially the ones closest to our hearts--Brent, Uncle Matt, Uncle Cowboy(Matt), and Uncle Jeff. We're so proud of you and we love you for the sacrifices you make to keep this nation strong.

post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Wow, you guys never stop! Happy 4th of July! We're proud of you, Allen men!