Thursday, August 13, 2009

Katie's Bridal Shower

My sister Katie's wedding is approaching very quickly. We have just a little over a month until the blessed event. Last weekend, we hosted her wedding shower at my mom's house and I thought it turned out really nice. We did a travel themed shower because Katie loves travelling. We counted up that she had visited 14 different countries. We collected photos and mementos from every member of our family representing all the places she's visited and redecorated my mom's house. It was a big endeavor, but it looked awesome and I think everyone had a good time. Our United Kingdom themed dining room.

The French Themed kitchen. I really wish I'd taken this closer up. Lorie had matted photos of Katie travelling with almost all her bridesmaids and Mom. We're all world travelers and have the photos to prove it!

The favors were little suitcases that held Australian Cadbury chocolates. Our food represented different countries too: Prosciutto wrapped crudites(Italy), French Bread and Cheese(France), Hummus and Pita bread(Turkey), Mini Cornish Pasties(UK), Soft Homemade pretzels(Germany), Norwegian Meatballs with Spiced Cream Sauce(Norway), Tropical Fruit salad(Jamaica).

Katie received so many nice things for her shower. We played a game the required everyone to identify all the flags of the countries she's visited, as well as a game to decipher some wedding themed words that were listed in foreign languages. We also played a game where the guests had to remember 15 different items in a suitcase. The games were lots of fun, but I think everyone felt like we'd made them think too hard for a shower!

After gifts, it was time for dessert! We had a baffling array, so of course we all tried everything! We had Pavlova(Australia), Bailey's Irish Cream Cheesecake(Ireland), Shortbread(Scotland), Apple Strudel(Austria/Germany) and...everyone's favorite was the Chocolate Creme Brulee(France). The desserts were OH, so good, but I had a huge stomachache all night long!

Katie with a "small" sampling of the desserts. Katie and Mom.

Katie and I. Everyone used to think we look like twins. Maybe not so much anymore when I outweigh her by a good thirty pounds! Mom, Aunt Barbara, Me, Emily, Katie and Lorie.
I just love that Aunt Barbara goes out of her way to attend our showers. She flew in from Baltimore to be here to celebrate with us. It means a lot to us! I loved the shower and I'm so thankful to Lorie for helping to plan it with me. All the good ideas were hers and we both put in a ton of work to make it happen. I'm really looking forward to the wedding now!


post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

You Bridge girls and your huge theme parties! You amaze me! And I think you and Katie still look like twins. You look great!