Saturday, July 17, 2010

Fourth of July

Prior to Bennett's birth, Brent's parents invited us down for the Fourth of July. At the time, I couldn't imagine taking a two week old baby ANYWHERE! Bennett is such a good baby, though, and after realized how easy he is most of the time, we decided we could manage the drive and visit. We were excited about our family visit, despite the fact that we were also going to be attending the funeral of Brent's Uncle Scott. We packed the minivan to the roof with baby gear and took off southward.
Brent's sister Amy couldn't wait to meet and get her hands on Bennett. She loved her handsome new nephew and we were scarcely less anxious to meet her new baby, Myla.
Nan and Poppa were excited to have their grandkids together under the same roof. It was the first time for Amy and Matt to meet Bennett and the first time for us to meet Myla. Our family has been so blessed with children over the past year. These healthy, beautiful children are such a gift from God.

Our first evening there, we went over to Aunt Claudia's house for dinner. She had been blessed with lots of food following Scott's death and we went over to offer our condolences and have some family time together. Maura was excited to see her cousins. Joslyn and Riley live in Kansas, so we see them infrequently. The girls had a great time playing together and coloring up in the rec room. I love that they're finally all at an age that playing together is FUN!
My sweet niece, Ava. I haven't seen this adorable little bundle of energy since July of LAST year, so it was so much fun playing with and getting acquainted with her again. She's such a sweet girl and she's really smart. I know that she and Maura are really going to get into some trouble together someday!
On the Fourth of July, I attempted to get some cute photos of the kids after church. I pleaded, I cajoled, I bribed, and I did manage to get a few halfway decent shots. I wanted photos with Ava too, but it's just too much to ask three wiggly preschoolers to be pleasant and in a photo at the same time!
The best shot of the day. I loved these Fourth of July outfits. Tristan's actually has embroidered fireworks on it. SO cute! I've had it for over a year and have been waiting to wear it on him!
My attempt at a Fourth of July picture of all my kids. I think all family photos will look like this from now on--at least one child will look dreadfully unhappy! At least my big kids are happy to be holding their baby brother. They love him so much.
Aunt Amy(or Auntie Mimi) with Baby Bennett. She loved wearing him around and I was grateful for the break!!
Nan and Poppa rented a huge bouncy water slide for the party on the fourth and the kids had an absolute BLAST going down it. Maura and Tristan are both daredevils and I was glad to see them unhurt after all their antics. Tristan actually came bouncing off the end at one point!
The main event for the kids all weekend was the pool. Maura can touch bottom this year and she LOVED, LOVED, LOVED all the swimming. It was wonderful to see her get to exercise some independence in the pool and I really saw her swimming improve over the time we were there.
A boy and his daddy. These two are inseparable these days, except when Poppa is around. Tristan is really into horseplay and his Daddy likes to play rough! Tristan just loves it!
Most of the family met Bennett for the first time at the party. Everyone thought he was adorable and looks a lot like Brent. Here he is with Aunt Walton, Little Walton and Aunt Dot.
GG loved meeting her newest great grandson and holding him for the first time. He wasn't the newest great grandson for long, though. That evening, Bennett's cousin and future partner in crime, Gabriel Jackson was born to Ben and Michelle. Michelle was actually at the party and having contractions all afternoon before we convinced her to head to the hospital!! Jackson was born about five hours later.
GG wasn't the only great grandmother that Bennett met that day. Great Grandmother Chambers loved meeting him and informed us that she was there just to hold the baby. She held Bennett for hours while Brent and I enjoyed the party and actually ate an uninterrupted meal.Maura and Joslyn playing a fun pool jumping game together. These two play together pretty well. There's only two years difference in age between them and Joslyn is bossy and inventive enough to keep Maura interested. There's no telling what they're going to get into together.
Tristan loved the big slide and played on it for hours, even when the big boys arrived. It didn't bother him ONE BIT that everyone else playing was at least twice his size. He can hang with the big boys.
What Tristan enjoyed most was the watermelon. I think he ate at least a quarter of one before we stopped him. His little belly LOOKED like a watermelon.
Aunt Lisa, Grandmother and Bennett enjoying the festivities. It was just warm enough for the pool and slide to be enjoyable, but not hot enough for it to be dangerous for the baby to be outside.
Late that evening, I realized that Brent and I hadn't had a photo yet. We were sitting outside on the patio and enjoying the fireworks displays going on all around us. It was our first fourth of July as the parents of three!
WHAT A CREW!! These five grandchildren kept us all hopping all day. Nan and Poppa couldn't conceal their joy to be able to enjoy all their sweet kids at the same time. What a fun day they gave us!
We CAREFULLY allowed the kids to do sparklers. Sparklers scare me as I can picture one of my kids falling on them, so Brent and I each took a child and we sat motionless and watched the sparkler burn down. Maura was slightly freaked out at the prospect of holding fire in her hands.
No so for Tristan. This little pyro loved the sparklers and I know he would have gone tearing off with one if we'd allowed him to.
The next day was Uncle Scott's funeral. It was tough being there. Scott was a good man and much loved by this family. It was hard saying goodbye to him and witnessing all the emotion that everyone felt for him. We all went back to Claudia's after the funeral and the kids were a welcome distraction to all the sadness. Maura had gone to the funeral home with us, but some of the older cousins kept her downstairs with the other kids to watch a movie during the funeral. After I picked her up, she said, "I had so much fun at that funeral. We had a party down there!" I laughed and told Claudia about Maura's comment. It made Claudia smile and she said that Scott would have loved that the kids had a party at his funeral.
Sweet Myla Grace. This little one is crawling already at only seven months. She's a sweet and easygoing baby. Hopefully Bennett will be just as easygoing as her in six months.
Aunt Walton was a huge help to me. When Bennett started crying right in the middle of my lunch she went and picked him up, discovered a very dirty diaper, changed his clothes completely and held him while I finished eating. I could use that kind of help every day!
Brent and my sweet big kids enjoying the porch swing.
That afternoon, we put Bennett's feet in the pool to see if he'd enjoy a little swim. The answer? A definate NO!
We enjoyed an easy and fun morning on our last day, having a great breakfast and hanging out by the pool. Maura and Tristan can't wait for another visit to Nan and Poppa's!
Tristan bugged Poppa all weekend for tractor rides. I mean ALL WEEKEND. Every time he'd see Poppa, he'd say, "Tractor ride. Get keys!"
Nan, Maura and Ava enjoyed lots and lots of tea partied together at the little table. They were so cute! Maura loved being the big kid and pouring out the "tea" for everyone.
One last tea party on the morning we left. All four kids sat down for a breakfast tea party. I can't wait to get all the kids together again sometime soon so that all the cousins can enjoy each other and make memories of growing up as cousins together.

post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

I know Brent's parents must have been in HEAVEN!! We were so close... we were in Knoxville over the 4th! Myla is such a cutie. Love the tea party.