Sunday, July 11, 2010

Week Two

This summer is passing by in a blur. Mostly I think it's sleep deprivation making it seem a little fuzzy, but I know that time seems to be going by far quicker than I'd like. Brent is only home with me until July 17th and that time is fast approaching!! Bennett second week of life passed just as quickly. We've fallen into a routine of sorts wherein I get up with the baby twice a night and then Brent wakes up early when Tristan gets up. I generally get two blissful hours of uninterrupted sleep in the morning and I think its the only thing that's keeping me going!! I'm going to miss that hubby when he's not home anymore!! I'm still nursing the baby all. day. long. It's going to be difficult to nurse continually and take care of the big kids once there's only one adult, but I know my mom will lend a hand too to help me over the transition time. I'm dreading it already, though!
Last week, we finally got some relief from the heat, so we took the kids out for a walk in the morning. Bennett loved it. The other kids, not so much. Tristan begged to be carried pretty much as soon as we left the driveway and Maura whined that she was tired halfway through the walk. So much for Family exercise and togetherness!
My kids now have a fascination with all things nursing. They ask questions about nursing and pumping all the time and the other day they tried it out for themselves. Hilarious!!
Tristan hooking up his belly for a nice pumping session.
Maura went with the tubing only option.
She looks WAY happier than I do while pumping. I HATE pumping!
Maura decided she needed to nurse her baby. She told me that she can't wait to grow up and have a baby of her own so she could nurse it. She wants us to nurse together someday. I didn't want to bother her with logistics, but that WON'T be happening!!
Bennett boy at two weeks. His little face is getting rounder. I took him for a weight check on his two week birthday and he was back up to 8'7". It made me feel a bit better, but I'm still supplementing him.
His umbilical cord didn't fall off until he was two full weeks old. Maura and Tristan both lost theirs a lot sooner, so I fully expected to be giving Bennett a bath during his first week, but Bennett was content to wait a bit longer. Poor baby, he doesn't know what he's in for!
Yes, I allowed both big kids to wash their baby. Don't worry, I was right there in case the washing got a bit rough! They were so excited to see Bennett in the tub. They have been so awesome and so gentle with their baby brother, even my rough and tumble boy. Tristan pets his head as gently as he can.
Look at that wild hair. I'm letting it grow for the summer or until I can't stand it anymore, whatever comes first. Such a gentle giant(sometimes). His voice goes up an octave when talking to his baby. He says, "Aww, Baby Bennett, so CUTE!"
Such an AWESOME big sister. She's so helpful and so considerate of her brother. She can't wait to run errands for me when I have them. She walked over after getting up from her nap the other day, picked up a dirty diaper I had lying beside me, and said, "I'll just throw this dirty diaper away for you!" I'm so proud of my big girl!
This is how Bennett felt about his bath. He did calm down a bit when I gently poured water on his tummy, but all in all, he pretty much screamed. I know it won't be long until he loves his bath.
All is calm. Bennett is my easy going boy and he doesn't let things upset him for long. He may be screaming, but as soon as I pick him up, he settles down and life is good once again. I love my sweet smelling little man when I get him all bathed.
Last Friday, we took the kids to a petting zoo at the library. I wanted to be there too to see the kid's reactions to the animals, so we packed everyone up and headed to see the animals. Maura LOVED all the animals and I think she helped herself to at least four cones of animal feed during the course of the morning.Tristan and Daddy loved petting and feeding the little goats. Some were teeny tiny babies. There was even a baby camel. We love our local library so much, especially during the summer when they really ramp it up with summer reading.

I can't believe I didn't get a shot of Bennett in his carrier--you can kind of see him if you peek past Tristan. He doesn't like it so much, much to my sadness as a mommy who really needs to have two hand to take care of her other two. Hopefully it will grow on him as he gets bigger--he's going to be spending lots of time there, like it or not!!

post signature

2 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so impressed you are able to blog at all. The pictures of your kids with the pump parts are hilarious! I hated pumping, too, and hope you won't have to for much longer.

Michael and Hannah said...

I just left a long comment and when I clicked publish it said, "service unavailable." grrrrr. I had great things to say.