Thursday, October 28, 2010

World Equestrian Games Part Deux

I have this odd sense of melancholy now that the World Equestrian Games are over. It makes no logical sense. I didn't have plans to go to the games again and even if I'd wanted to, I probably couldn't have afforded another trip. I guess I felt like the Games made our city important and exciting and for a few short weeks, we were part of something really big. So, it's all over and I'm feeling a bit let down! I guess it's WEG withdrawal. I suppose I'll get over it pretty soon!

On the 9th of October, I had the opportunity to go the the Vaulting Freestyle Final with Mom and Emily. I was SOOO exciting. When I visited the games in September, we didn't actually watch any of the competition, so this was my first opportunity to see actual horses! We got to the park early to take in all the fun exhibits and exhibitions. Emily and Mom liked the "Where the Wild Things Are" horse.

Below: Emily met Molly, a pony with a prosthetic leg which was rescued during Hurricane Katrina.



I look like a dork, but I had to get a photo in front of the huge outdoor stadium. I'm representing for my MOPS group--that's our group mascot I was posing with!
Below: We walked up to one exhibition at the very end. The little girl was demonstrating vaulting. She was seven years old and had been vaulting since she was two. She was A-MAZING!





This was easily one of the most beautiful horses that I've ever seen. It was HUGE. We watched some farriers shoe it earlier in the day.
Below: Em and I were excited about getting to the arena for our event. It was a LONG walk!

Mom, Emily and I all set for some great entertainment. We should have, perhaps, read up on the sport of vaulting PRIOR to attending this event. We watched and watched but couldn't figure out why some vaulters who didn't appear to be as talented were scoring higher than more talented vaulters. Later, we realized that the horse's behavior affected the score too. The judges could mark a vaulter down in their horse twitched his ears or swished his tail in displeasure! The sport itself is amazing. It looks like something you see in the circus with the vaulters slinging themselves on and off the horse, doing jumps, flips and handstands. Below is the girl who won the gold medal. She was from England and she was CLEARLY the best woman's vaulter.

It was so incredible to see the vaulters launch themselves around on the horses' back and even more incredible that the horses were so calm and quiet while it was all happening!


What an experience! I'll always be glad that we were able to attend this event. It was a never to be forgotten day.

post signature

3 comments:

Michael and Hannah said...

Hey y'all don't happen to have any horses up there in Kentucky do you??

Michael and Hannah said...

And P.S. there are NO pictures of your kids in this post! And you thought we wouldn't notice... who do you think we're here to see anyway?? ;o)

Allenfamilyadventure said...

Ask me if I missed my kids that day! Just kidding--I really missed Bennett right about 3pm when I hadn't nursed since 8!