
Saturday, November 12, 2011
Honoring our Hero
Prior to Brent's deployment, I received a call from his principal, saying that the school wanted to honor him in a ceremony. It was scheduled for his last day of school and it was a surprise. I wasn't sure what to expect of the outdoor ceremony, especially since the sky was grey and threatening, but we arrived to find a yard full of middle school students and a big firetruck parked in front of the school.
I asked Grammy to come along to the ceremony because I actually wanted to enjoy it and NOT run after Bennett! Maura was super excited to honor Daddy. We waited til Brent came out and then it was apparent that he was both surprised and embarrassed. He doesn't love being the center of attention. He lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance, and then some of his football players came and said some really nice words about him. Then, it was time for the fire truck!

The school had hung a banner on the front of the school honoring Brent and had it covered with a big piece of paper. At one point during the ceremony Brent, Maura and Tristan actually got to ride up in the bucket of the truck and uncover the banner. I thought it would be the highlight of Tristan's life, but Brent said he was actually a little scared on the way up.

Tristan was crabby! Brent really rose to the occasion and gave a short address to the students. I am in awe of my husband's ability to deliver a coherent, touching and succinct speech on the spot. He really should try politics!

We were truly touched by the outpouring of support from his students and coworkers. The support we have received has truly made a difference during this difficult time in our lives.

Loving our middle school family! Thanks RSMS!!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment