Tuesday, November 8, 2011

NOT so organized sports

This fall marked a milestone for our family. It was our first foray into the world of organized sports. Up to this point, I've attempted to keep our lives a little less hectic by avoiding afternoon sports and activities. I figure that's family time and we have plenty of time in the future to be driving around town like chickens without heads picking up children from a vast array of activities. This year, though, Brent specifically asked that Maura be allowed to play soccer. I think he was concerned that we were squandering her hidden potential as a soccer star and if we didn't start her soon, there was no way she was going to be able to attain the Olympic level status that she was capable of.

Not so much. Now that a whole season of soccer is now under our belts, I think we can safely say that we'll have to work VERY hard to develop any potential! It's kind of amazing how the kids all travel in a little pack around the ball, yet so few of them ever kick it! Our coach wasn't the best and he failed to discuss much soccer rules or strategy with the kids. Hope they pick it up down the line!

Not to be outdone, Tristan participated in a PeeWee sports program that the Y puts on. It meant that we had to be at the soccer field at 9am on a Saturday morning. Yawn. The things I do for my kids! Tristan LOVED it and was so proud when he got his medal at the end of class!
Good game! Good game! I did love YMCA soccer! They don't keep score and no more than one practise was allowed per week! That's my kind of sports team! If she plays next year, hopefully we'll have an organized coach--perhaps even her daddy!

SO proud of that medal! She was thrilled that it was bigger than Tristan's and told him so. Tears ensued. I might add that I asked Maura if she'd like to sign up for winter soccer(I must be nuts) and she said, "No, I think I'd like to try a different sport now!" So much for that soccer career!
I'd like to take a moment to describe just how much fun it was to attend Maura's practices and games. So. Much. Fun...NOT! You see, my youngest has this all consuming ball obsession. He sees a ball, he much OWN the ball. This includes the ball on the field. I spent the majority of every game and practice sprinting after my son, who is oblivious to the threat of danger! Keep in mind that Brent attended very few practices and games thanks to football games and deployments and you have a recipe for a very tired and exasperated mother! That's all!

post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

At least they have genuine athleticism in the genes... my poor kids got NADA.