Saturday, September 27, 2008

Gulf Shores Part 3

These photos are from Saturday, our last full day at the beach. I'm always sad when our vacation comes to an end. There is always so much planning and anticipation that goes into a vacation that it doesn't seem possible that it could be over so quickly. This was a short vacation for us this year and it seemed even quicker because Brent was only able to be with us for two and a half days. Despite how short it was, we had an awesome time.
Brent and Maura waiting patiently for us to get organized enough to head for the beach. It did take us forever to get organized in the morning. Thank goodness that my mom was there remembering all the things I forgot!


Grammy and Tristan. He's a giggle monster!
Sweet boy fell asleep on the beach. Look at him nursing in his sleep. So cute!!
Maura and Daddy building a sand castle. I wish I'd gotten a picture of the finished product. It was really something!! Maura and I went and found a bunch of seashells to decorate the top wall of the castle.
This is what happens to a chunky four month old when you put him down to sleep in an infant seat without strapping him in. He sunk lower and lower and lower! He slept really well in the tent we put up. I'm glad we had it--there was a sandstorm going on at the beach and our blanket was completely covered in sand.
Mommy and Maura enjoying a fun day at the beach. I enjoyed collecting shells with my girl. She was impressed by all the shells, even the cracked and ordinary ones. I think we could learn a lot from the enthusiasm of a two-year old. Somehow it's just sad to lose that wonder at the world around us.


All tired out from a big day at the beach. Pretty much every day by lunchtime she was worn out. She dragged herself through lunchtime and I've never seen her so glad to go down for a nap. We got some marathon naps out of her on this vacation--3+ hours. I LOVED it!!
Maura at her own personal swimming pool. This late in the season, the resort was pretty empty. The baby pool at the resort was not very inhabited and we only saw two other children using it the whole time we were there. Maura took over this pool and really enjoyed it.
This pool was JUST RIGHT. I think the hurricane really cooled down the big pools, but this little one was really nice. It was shallow too and I loved that we could sit up on the deck and just watch her enjoy herself.
I need a vacation from my vacation. I always stay up way too late on vacation and I'm tired out when we get home!
Brent caught a sand crab for Maura on Saturday. She'd been looking for them the whole time we were at the beach and she was thrilled when Daddy actually caught one.



Check out the hilarity that ensued. Uncle Jeff had stayed the night with us and he's the camera man. You can hear him laughing the whole time.

More local wildlife. I think this guy is a blue heron? He was fishing in the surf on our very last beach walk. We were so sad to leave the beach! I don't know when we'll have a chance to go back. Hopefully we'll get back to the beach before we move back to Kentucky.
On our way home, we didn't leave until lunchtime and we stopped just outside of Gulf Shores at a place called Lamberts. Mom had eaten here before and she said it was a fun place to go. It's called "The home of the throwed roll" and now I know why. They actually throw the rolls to you. They also walk around with big pots of side items and offer them to you. You pull off a paper towel and they plunk down some fried okra. My kind of place! Tristan loved all the things to look at on the ceiling and walls.
Me and my little space cadet. I think she's focused on her roll.
Brent and I enjoying our lunch out.


Here's a picture of the guys throwing out the roll. If you wanted one, you just raised your hand and they lobbed it to you! We did witness a few missed catches while we were there. We had a great lunch, but as we were about to leave and I pulled Maura from her highchair, I looked down to notice poop all over my arm and leg. YUCK, YUCK, YUCK. In my two and a half years as a parent I have not witnessed anything more disgusting. I have no idea how to even clean that up short of throwing the child in a bathtub. I feel sorry for the diners around us and for those in the restroom who had to witness that horrid display. So, for the second time in four days, I had to seek out a complete change of clothes, plus shoes for my girl. Needless to say, we went back to diapers the very next day. That was one of those moments that makes you reflect back on those easy days pre-children when I could go on vacation without having to change disgusting poop pants. I wouldn't trade it, but every now and then I do remember it longingly!! Other than the accidents along the way, we had such a great time. Stay tuned for our beach portraits--I know, can you believe that there could be MORE photos from the beach?!?


post signature

No comments: