Friday, September 12, 2008

Maura's half birthday

Those who know me well know that I'm over the top about a lot of things. It's OK, I can own it! When it comes to me kids, I'm really over the top. I get so excited about doing things for them that will make them excited and happy. Thus, on Thursday, September 11th it was time to celebrate Maura's half birthday. I remember as a child thinking that my birthday would NEVER come. It seemed like ages from year to year until my special day would roll around. I have decided that we'll celebrate half birthdays in our home. Maura's will always be easy to remember as it falls on such a memorable day. And so, on Thursday, we got down to the business of celebrating.
Maura and I made her cake together in the morning while Tristan was down for his nap. It sounds easier in writing than it is in actuality. Baking with Maura generally involves a lot of grabbing, moving things and watching her like a hawk! She was so excited to help me and we actually managed to get most of the cake mix into the bowl. Maura spent the next five minutes licking the rest off the chair she was standing on! Mmmmm, yummy!
On the way home from work, Daddy stopped and got Maura( and mommy) a flower. She felt so special when Daddy gave her the flower. Today she told Brent that he bought it for her because he loves her. She makes her stuffed animals go and smell it all the time.

Right before supper, I let her decorate her cupcakes while I iced the cake. As you can see, she went a bit overboard on the decorating, but she had a ball! I had a hard time keeping her from diving into the cupcakes and eating one right before dinner.
She did manage to indulge on several handfuls of sprinkles. BEWARE anything made by a child in our house. It probably contains some yummy saliva.
The beautiful finished product!
I also made her a half birthday cake. Maura got to pick the cake mix(a yellow Pillsbury mix that had a picture of the Doughboy on the front), but Mommy picked the icing. Chocolate, of course! Maura didn't care, as long as it had sprinkles on top!
After dinner, we sang, "Happy Half Birthday."

She loved it. She was a little embarrassed by all the attention, but she smiled through the whole song.
Tristan and Daddy celebrating Maura's half Birthday.
She loved the song so much that she required a relighting of the candle and a re-singing of the song. Note the chocolate goatee.
She even required round three of lighting and singing. At that point, we ran out of matches and told her we were all done singing.
Maura even got a present for her half birthday. Now, ordinarily I wouldn't have given a present for a half birthday, but this doll was actually given to her as a gift last Christmas and I thought she was too young for it. I stowed it away in a closet for such a time as this. She LOVED her Belle doll. She's getting really into Disney Princesses these days. It was a successful Half Birthday.


These pictures are actually from Monday. I couldn't resist taking a picture of Daddy and Tristan watching Monday night football together. Tristan LOVES watching TV.
I had to take a picture of this little outfit. It's my favorite and he'll be growing out of it soon, but I LOVE the wiener dogs on his shirt, pants and socks. So cute!
Monday was his four month checkup. He was twenty six inches, which was the 90th percentile for height. He weighed 16 pounds, which is the 75th percentile and his head was in the 75th percentile. So basically we have a long and leaner man with a big-ish head! He was a very healthy boy, but he did have to have two shots. Poor little man, he screamed in terror when they administered them, but settled down as soon as I picked him up.
Maura wearing a new Princess shirt that Grammy sent her in a package. As soon as she saw it, she declared that she MUST wear her sparkly princess shoes with it. She promptly went outside and stepped in the pool with them on.
Tristan at eighteen weeks. Sweet little chunk. We've been calling him "Little Man," "Boo Bear," and "Sweet Potato." We love him so much!!

post signature

2 comments:

Michael and Hannah said...

You're psychotically perfect.

mommy of girls said...

We, too, celebrate 1/2 birthdays...though not quite to that extent! What a fun memory for your kiddos.