Saturday, September 6, 2008

When It's All Worth It

I had some experiences this week that really reaffirmed for me what a joy it is to be a parent. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and they make me laugh every day, but some days it's easy to get caught up in the business of life and the day to day struggle and I forget to take joy from the little things in life. Some moments are just so special and poignant that you forget about the sleepless nights, the temper tantrums and the snotty noses. We have been so richly blessed by our beautiful, strong, loving children and they bring so much joy to our lives. It's amazing that some of the most routine mornings can be so special. This morning, Maura asked Brent to make her a bed on the couch. He spread a blanket out for her and she laid down on it and I asked if Tristan could share her bed. She let me lay him down with her and their interaction was just so special.
She put her arms around him and said, "Aww, the baby. Awww, Tistan." He stretched his little arms up to touch his big sister.

Maura loved holding his hand and having him share her bed. I hope that the love that they have for each other will continue to grow and develop into a lifelong friendship and bond of love. It's amazing to me how Maura can be goofy and bouncing around one moment and in the very next be so tender and gentle with her baby brother. She's such a good big sister. Seeing my children interact with each other in such a way brings me so much joy.

Yesterday, I was reading Maura a book. It's a Max Lucado children's book called Just in Case You Ever Wondered. I haven't read it to Maura much because it's pretty wordy and the concepts are a little difficult for a young child to grasp, but I thought I'd read it to her now. It goes like this:


Long, long ago God made a decision--a very important decision...one that I'm really glad He made. He made the decision to make you. The same hands that made the stars made you. The same hands that made crayons made you. The same hands that made trees and the moon and the sun made you. That's why you are so special. God made you. He made you in a very special way. He made your eyes so they could twinkle. He made your mouth so you could smile. He made your laugh so you could giggle. God made you like no one else. If you looked all over the world--in every city, in every house--there would be no one else like you...no one with your eyes, no one with your mouth, no one with your laugh. You are very, very special. And since you are so special, God wanted to put you in just the right home...where you'd be warm when it's cold, where you'd be safe when you're afraid, where you'd have fun and learn about heaven. So, after lots of looking for just the right family, God sent you to me. And I'm so glad He did. I'll never forget the first time I saw you...your eyes were closed, your fingers were curled in two little fists, your cheeks were puffy and round. I knew in my heart God had sent someone very wonderful for me to take care of.


At that point, Maura got up from her chair, came all the way around the table and gave me a big hug. She went and sat back down again, got back up and gave me another hug. It was so sweet and so spontaneous. Maura is not much of a hugger these days, and especially not a spontaneous hugger. It made me realize just how much she loved being told that I was glad to have her and that she was wonderful. I loved that moment and just wanted to savor it. It's one of those moments that you'd like to be able to bottle up and bring back out the next time you have a struggle over putting shoes on!
My sweet baby boy turned four months old today. I know I've probably said it a hundred times, but I can't believe he's four months. It seems like he's been part of our lives forever. I am so grateful for my big, smiley adorable baby. He is a light in our lives. He smiles every single time you talk to him and carries on a conversation of coos and singing. He loves his hands and is starting to reach out to us and touch our faces. He's starting to notice his feet, but isn't sucking on them yet. He loves to be bounced and likes to stay in motion all the time. He loves "flying" on my knees when I lay on my back on the floor and drools on me every time I do so.


He still hates loud noises and startles and cries when he hears them. He's still sleeping swaddled because he wakes himself up with his hands if I leave him unswaddled. He's starting to love sitting and standing up activities such as his Exersaucer. He LOVES his mommy and isn't easily separated from me. He settles down instantly whenever I pick him up or take him screaming from his daddy. He is so amazed with everything that Maura does and he watches her with intensity. He loves playing with his daddy and will laugh for him like he will for no one else. He's content to sit and watch the action of the house as long as he's well fed. He has a truly sweet and joyful spirit. God knew what he was doing when he added Tristan to our lives. We were missing him without even knowing it. Thank you, God, for our sweet baby boy.

post signature






3 comments:

Angie said...

How cute! These are the types of moments that are so special to capture on tape. You can show your teenage children how much they loved each other when they were little! As for Halloween, your Miss Muffet would be much more creative than my child. She wants to be a ghost and she wants her daddy to be a pink ghost!

Michael and Hannah said...

So precious! The Halloween costumes sound adorable!

Anonymous said...

Julie, I keep playing that tape over and over, it is so precious. It makes me feel like I am there. See you soon.
Mom