Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Disney Part 3: Enjoying Epcot

We started our day on Tuesday with a visit to Epcot. Now, Epcot has never been my favorite part of Disney World, probably because they want you to learn something from your experience there and I'm going for pure pleasure. I knew that there were some nice slow rides there for the kids and then I found out that the princess breakfast was held there in Norway. That clenched it for me. We were DEFINITELY going to Epcot! Maura is so interested in the princesses these days and I knew she was just going to love meeting them.
I wasn't disappointed! Maura was really excited to go meet the princesses, evidenced by her acceptance of wearing the princess dress. I knew that every other little girl at the breakfast would be wearing one, so I just casually dressed her in it in the morning and she didn't protest. As soon as we entered the restaurant, Belle was standing in a little alcove to meet everyone and get photos. Maura couldn't wait to go in there. I had to hold her back while another family finished up and then she ran in and plunked herself down next to Belle and started chatting to her about how she was dressed like Sleeping Beauty and that she was two, but her birthday was coming up soon and the like. Belle could hardly get a word in edgewise. Maura had some serious hero worship going on. My usually camera shy girl was more than happy to smile for the camera when posing with Belle. We actually got a "free" professional photograph at this event, and it turned out so cute. Maura has it propped up on her dresser right now so that she can look at it often!
After we were seated, the princesses started arriving to meet us. Mulan came first, and Maura has only seen snippets of the movie, but Mulan was so friendly that Maura warmed right up to her. Tristan was fascinated with all that hair and makeup. He stared and stared.
Aurora was a very exciting princess. She went on and on about how Maura was dressed like her and how Prince Phillip wouldn't be able to tell them apart. Maura was so proud of her dress. After that, she wouldn't let me remove it for the rest of the day.
I loved Snow White. She acted just like she does in the movie with the funny princessy hands and the funny voice. She kissed Tristan right on the top of his little head. Maura was certainly excited to see her and she kissed Maura too, so as not to leave her out.
Tristan may never wash his forehead again! Maura with her kiss. She thought it was so funny that Snow White left lip prints on her and Tristan.
Tristan was positively infatuated with Ariel. Maura was so worked up by this point that it was futile to try and get her to eat! I gave up after she started refusing strawberries, which she usually gobbles up. She loved this event and has talked about it often since. Belle was definitely her favorite princess.
After leaving the breakfast, we rode the Norway ride. It was fun and Tristan loved when we went backwards. Tristan getting his groove on with some cool African rhythms.
We met Dopey over near Germany. Maura has never seen Snow White, so she has no idea who Dopey is, but I loved Dopey and wanted to get a photo with him. Maura was a little afraid, hence the fact that I'm holding her. The little train display in Germany was fascinating and Maura was so excited when Daddy gave her some pennies to throw in the water. We caught a drum ensemble over in Japan. Sadly, it was bad timing for us because Tristan had just fallen asleep, but we enjoyed it for a few moments before moving on.
Just up the path, we encountered Aladdin and Jasmine. Brent waited in line for us while we explored Morocco and then we went and met them. Maura loved Aladdin. He was funny and joked with her about where the magic carpet and the genie were. Maura doesn't usually hug strange men, but she gave him a big one! Maura having the time of her life with Jasmine and Aladdin. As we first walked up to Jasmine, she was kneeling down to talk to Maura. Maura's eyes were immediately drawn to the large jewel situated between Jasmine's breasts and she went to grab for it. Fortunately, I divined her intent and intercepted it, but it made for an awkward moment!

As we kept walking along the World Showcase, we literally bumped into Belle. Maura was so excited and immediately launched into chatter with her. Belle seemed to remember her from the breakfast and was good enough to stop and chat with her for a few moments. I couldn't believe that the Disney Character Bouncer didn't hurry her along, but the bouncer just thought Maura was hilarious and let her talk with Belle.
After a big hug, we went on our way. Maura had a knack for finding every fountain that exists in Epcot. Brent went and got a roll of pennies and Maura threw pennies to her little heart's desire. Notice that I have her by the back of the dress. I was afraid that she was going to tumble in in her exuberance to throw pennies.
Maura checking out the phone booths in England. She wouldn't come out, so I left her and walked a few paces away. I soon heard her shouting, "Help, help!" and came back to find that she wasn't able to open the door herself. She actually WANTED to pose for this picture in Canada.
We took advantage of the Disney Visa Cardmember's meet and greet event and went and visited Minnie and Goofy for a free photo. Tristan didn't know what to make of those ears! Maura gave Minnie a big kiss on the nose. I'd hate to think about how many other kiddies have kissed that nose before us! The whole gang with Goofy, although Tristan is quite overshadowed by Goofy's big ears!
Maura LOVED the Finding Nemo exhibit at Epcot. Nemo was her favorite movie before Cinderella took it's place, but she still holds a special place in her heart for that little orange fishy. We loved the Nemo ride and the aquarium. They also had a really cool event called "Turtle Talk with Crush" which was live animation. That means that the turtle was actually talking with our audience and directly to the kids there. I have no idea how they do it, but it was incredible.
Maura and I getting gobbled up by Bruce the shark!
We left Epcot exhausted, but we had a great time. Mom and Dad were able to stay for a few extra hours and take in some of the adult rides, but Brent and I took our two exhausted kids to bed! We still had several more days of fun planned!

post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Wow, that last photo is perfect! Looks like you guys had the trip of a lifetime!