Sunday, November 1, 2009

MOPS Field Trip


A few weeks ago, we met our MOPS group at a local orchard for a play date. It was a little overcast and cool, but I later realized that it was perfect weather for photographs. My pictures turned out so amazing and I've been meaning to share them for so long! I've got a huge backlog of photos to blog now, after my cuties rocked it out on Halloween, so I'm going to have to keep this short. We're loving fall in Kentucky and the weather has been lovely for the most part. I'd love to see some more of these beautiful sunny days, but I have a feeling that they're going to be fewer and farther between now that November is here. I just need the weather to hold through this weekend when Brent and I get to travel out of town for a getaway! Yay! Maura loved checking out the mums. Perhaps she's amazed that ANYONE is able to keep mums alive and beautiful. I haven't been the best role model in this particular instance. It didn't help that El Cheapo here bought the mums half dead off the clearance rack and tried halfheartedly to revive them. Several days without water almost put them over the edge, but the recent rains have caused them to actually bloom! But, I digress. THESE mums were gorgeous!

Smelling those sweet posies and trying to avoid the bees. Tristan was more interested in tearing them apart then smelling them!

Our all inclusive fee involved a "hay ride" where there wasn't any hay, the chance to pick a pumpkin, and access to the playground and petting zoo. We decided we would ALWAYS come on field trips from now on. WAY cheaper! The kids all loved the "hay ride," even the biggest "kids." Alexandra loved all the attention and movement--and there was lots of movement because she was sitting next to Maura!

My attempt at a fall shot. At least they're looking at the camera! If only they didn't look so miserable! Alex joined them for a moment before she almost ate dirt. She's not QUITE sitting on her own just yet.

My boy was excited about the chance to pick out a pumpkin. He thought he had a winner here, but we encouraged him to broaden his horizons and take a trip out to the pumpkin patch. Grammy walking her two shadows out the the pumpkin patch. Unfortunately, the "hay ride" driver didn't just drop us off there, so we actually had to exercises and get out there on our own power!

Almost there! Pumpkin heaven! These guys didn't know where to look first!

Tristan found his perfect pumpkin first and played pat the pumpkin for me so I could get some great photos. Maura with her, umm, lovely choice! I think she did go on to find a different and slightly less color challenged gourd!

I loved this game on the playground. It's like a huge hamster wheel for kids. They had lengths of pipe stretched so that you couldn't go off course, but it was quite the workout and the kids loved it! Just hangin' out. I remember when Maura was about Tristan's age and she would literally hang on the edge of the table and tell us that she was "hangin' out." I think if Tristan tried the same thing now, he'd just go flying off with his little round belly!
Happy boys love big tractor tires! Question: How many kids can fit into a corn table?
Answer: Probably about six until my two started elbowing them out and throwing corn.
Do you have any idea how much corn came home with us in pockets, shoes and pant cuffs? They had an awesome petting zoo, which I didn't document much photographically. I did spring for the dollar cup of animal feed for Maura. She held it up for the baby camel and he promptly bit off the top 3/4 of the ice cream cone it was held in. She was so surprised that she dropped the bottom of the cone and stepped back. I told her to pick it back up and feed it to the calf, after which she picked it up and took a bite herself. NICE. I don't THINK camel spit is hazardous!

Tristan was fascinated by these sweet little "hairy coos." They bring back memories of Scotland for me. Quite fittingly, Maura posed as a monkey!

Just had to include this photo of Maura and Tristan from the other day. He climbed into the doll stroller and Maura pushed him as far as she could. I think he bent the axles, but they were having so much fun that I didn't have the heart to stop it too quickly!


post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Yay! This post showed up on my alert thingy... but it's all about fall and pumpkin patches and jacket-wearing weather and all of the things that make me depressed to not experience right now. At least the kids are cute!