Saturday, June 7, 2008

Maura's first (real) haircut

My girl got her first real haircut on Friday! Obviously, by age two she's already had a few trims, which I accomplished at home to the tune of lots of crying and many tears. I had always trimmed up her bangs and a few wild hairs in the back, but we were entering new territory with her hair. For the past two months, I've been letting her bangs grow, hoping that we could start doing ponytails and other hairstyles before too long. This week, though, it finally drove me crazy! She won't always leave a hair bow or barrette in place, so she's been brushing the hair from out of her eyes. I just couldn't stand to see her looking through those long bangs, so I decided it was time to brave the hair salon. I needed professional help to decide where her bangs should stop and the rest of her hair to leave long. I took her to Kiddie Kutters, a kids hair salon in Lexington. I thought if was going to be a traumatic experience, but she did really well. They let the kids pick out a video that they watch at their own personal television set while they're having their hair cut. They can also choose what to sit on--Maura chose a pink Jeep!

She thought she was big stuff sitting in her Jeep! This is her before picture. All smiles!

She got a little tense as the stylist started, but she was much too engrossed in her video to protest too much. Given the choice of pretty much any movie or cartoon you can imagine, my child chose Teletubbies. Don't ask me why!

Look how long those bangs are!

We had a brief moment of panic as she started on the bangs, but we were able to talk her out of it. She didn't even shed any tears.

Almost done and still glued to Teletubbies.

Putting on the finishing touches. I chose the "First Haircut" package, which means they save her hair in a little pouch and take her picture at the end and even give her a certificate!

The After picture. Doesn't she look cute?? She looks like such a big girl. The stylist went a little short on the bangs, but they'll grow back quickly.

At the end, Maura got a lollipop and I took her to Target to buy a treat as promised. She picked out two boats to float in her swimming pool.

One last slide down the slide--this hair salon had everything! After such a non-traumatic experience I'm not sure why I waited so long. I fully expected tears and the gnashing of teeth, but I was pleasantly surprised. My girl looks so pretty and I'm glad we've had our first pleasant haircut experience.

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Good grief! I missed so much while I was gone! You're a supablogg'n mama! Can't believe Tristan is already a month old!!!