Monday, June 2, 2008

Worms In Dirt

My girl is obsessed with worms. This obsession began this spring when the weather got nice enough that we could get outside for walks. Maura began noticing the dead, dried up worms all over the sidewalk, and she was intensely interested in them. She was even more interested whenever we would come upon a live worm still wiggling upon the pavement. We always have to "save" them and put them back into the grass so they can go back to their mommies. Maura talks about worms all the time and for some reason, the other day, started talking about eating worms. I decided that this was the time to introduce the concept of actual edible worms(gummy) and a fabulous little dessert called "Worms In Dirt." On Saturday, Maura and I embarked upon a culinary adventure together and made Worms in Dirt. Following is a photo documentary of our journey together.
Watch out Rachel Ray! This little chef is learning the culinary ropes and cooking up a storm. Maura loves to cook with me and takes every opportunity to pull a chair up to the counter and participate in whatever I'm cooking. I love it! I had Maura put on her chefs hat and apron for the occasion.
Pouring in the pudding. Maura has become much more accurate lately with ingredient addition.

Adding the milk. Pouring liquids is still a bit dicey. What you don't see in this shot is my hand holding the measuring cup too.

Of course every great chef must taste their work to make sure it's perfect.
Crushing up the cookies. She was particularly good at this step.
Almost ready, Mom.
Next, Maura had to add the cookie crumbs to the cups. She tried every way she could think of to add the crumbs without actually touching them. This girl does not like to get her hands dirty.
She was very deliberate, making sure that she put an equal amount in each cup.

"Who me? Umm, no, I haven't been eating anything. Why do you ask, Mom?"
"See, nothing in the mouth. Absolutely nothing."
Next, Maura added the Cool Whip. Maura calls it "creamy" which is also the word that she uses to talk about diaper ointment. We hope that this doesn't lead to any unfortunate events in the future.
She was super good at the Cool Whip adding and stirring. I was so proud of her!
Maura and Mommy cooking together. Brent had come home at this point and was treated to a play by play about the Worms in Dirt by Maura. She was most excited about the fact that we would be eating the worms. What I think is so funny is that up until this point, she has not seen gummy worms. She doesn't know they exist. She obviously believes that we will truly be partaking of some tasty, slimy worms!

Maura graciously allowed me to do the filling of the cups.
She finally got to see the "worms." She really studied them, remarking about the eyes and about how they were squirmy. And, of course we had to eat a few before we could add them to the recipe.
Very carefully placing the worms on the top. Maura's worms were all lined up straight.
Studying the worm and considering the best placement for it.
Yes, a masterpiece!
The finished product. Just as we finished placing the last worm, Maura sneezed upon the desserts. Yum. I just tried to put it out of my mind. I guess it's one of the occupational hazards of cooking with a two-year old. We had so much fun cooking together and I'm going to have to come up with a bunch more simple recipes that she can help me with. I'll make a chef out of this girl yet!




1 comment:

cowboy and amy said...

How fun! I can't wait until Ava can really cook in the kitchen with me. I'm so glad Maura enjoys being in the kitchen with you. It's unreal to me how much Maura looks like Brent these days...she's growing up so fast! Miss you!

Love
Amy