Monday, August 18, 2008

Reverse Male Pattern Baldness and other musings

You are looking at a picture of the back of Tristan's head. Yes, I know it's thrilling! I wish I had taken this shot about a month ago when his hair issues were a little more pronounced. Tristan has what we like to call Reverse Male Pattern Baldness. Basically, his head grew out of the hair he was born with, leaving a long patch on top. Then, he rubbed a lot of the hair on the back of his head off, leaving just a little patch right up there where most men lose theirs. It's so funny to look at-the hair on top is all about an inch long and sticks straight up a lot of the time. He's now starting to get some hair to fill in, so it's no longer as noticeable, but I wanted to make sure that I took some pictures before it disappeared completely. On to other things. You know you're watching too much Olympic coverage when your two year old goes swimming in the tub and shouts out, "I'm in the Wimpics! I need my goggles!" She sloshed so much water on the floor. She watched the gymnastics coverage today and was inspired to perform front rolls and walk on a "balance beam" of tape that I put down in the family room. I just hope she doesn't try to mimic the uneven bars on something and crack her head!
Here in Georgia, we've decided that we're going to have to make our own fun! On Friday night, we decided to have a family movie night and "camp" on the family room floor. We told Maura the plan at dinner and she was so excited about it that she couldn't finish dinner! Daddy got her bathed and ready while I popped popcorn and filled drinks. She could not have been more thrilled with her popcorn and gummy worms.
Even Tristan got in on the action. We enjoyed our family time and our kid movie, although we realized that we must have left the remote to the DVD player in Kentucky. Ooops!
On Saturday night, we opted for a night out. We took the kids to a local hibachi grill for dinner. I knew Maura would find the "show" fascinating and I wasn't disappointed. She LOVED it!


Me and my big boy. He liked the fire!
"I'm getting too big for this car seat!" I'm pretty sure that Maura weighed about sixteen pounds(and was seven months old) when I thought she was too heavy for her car seat and I moved her over to a big seat. I just think it wouldn't be good to do to a three month old!
Maura just couldn't peel her eyes away from the chef. She especially loved the part where he threw the egg up in the air and caught it on his spatula. She really liked the fire too. I think our chef didn't want to do too much fire because he was worried about hurting the baby, but the chef at the next table was a pyromaniac and we were treated to lots of fire! Maura loved when he made the volcano and set it on fire.
Our chef was so nice to Maura. He kept talking to her and he served her even though we didn't purchase a meal for her. She loved the whole experience and she's still talking about it.
A boy and his daddy. Tristan actually slept through the night for the first time last night. I nursed him at about 9:45, put him down and didn't hear a peep from him until 6:30 this morning! I feel like a new woman! I'm not going to get too excited about it, though, because he's been sick and it might just be that he isn't feeling very well. It's a milestone, though, and I'll take as many full nights of sleep as I can get!



post signature

2 comments:

Michael and Hannah said...

Okay, I'VE never been to a Japanese grill! Maura is pulling ahead of me in life experiences at age 2!

Michael and Hannah said...

Okay, you haven't blogged in 3 whole days now... should I be worried?? Ha!