Thursday, June 30, 2011

Preschool Graduation Take 2

I had the honor(and sadness) of attending not one, but two preschool graduation ceremonies for my little girl this year. Maura actually attended two different preschool this year. Both preschools used roughly the same curriculum and covered the same material on the same weeks, so the schools dovetailed nicely together and I felt like Maura received a really complete preschool education. She loved preschool. There certainly were days when she didn't feel like going because she's a true homebody, but there was not a day that I didn't pick up a bright, happy, excited girl at the end of the day. She'd generally come bounding out with a big, "Mommy!" and a hug and proceed to tell me about her day. It was so wonderful to witness her love of school and learning. All spring and summer as we've struggled with the decision of whether or not to home school her in the fall, I've kept that picture in my mind. I know that she loves school and will adapt well to a structured school environment, so I worried that I'd be depriving her a bit by keeping her home. In the end, we've decided to go ahead and send her to public school in the fall, but believe me, it hasn't been an easy decision. Anyway, I digress...
The graduation ceremony was held the Sunday following their last day of school. I never expected the ceremony to be so nice! We took the kids in early so they could get dressed. I did not expect the full robes, hat, tassels, and sash that they had all ready for them. The children looked so beautiful clothed all in white. They looked like little angels--for a moment anyway! I had a moment of my own as I dressed my baby in her graduation robe and adjusted her had. I flashed forward to the day that I'll be doing the same for her high school graduation and someday her wedding. It made me want to weep to realize just how quickly time is flying by me.



My big girl is so intelligent, articulate, beautiful and brave. I love her so much! She cannot know just how proud her mommy and daddy are of her. I pray that our love and pride for her always shine through and she doesn't get discouraged by our expectations and discipline for her. She is our gift from God!

Below: Maura is not great at making friends, but somehow she managed to click with this group of sweet girls. Sarah, Avery, and Bella always appeared in her stories from school and I think they all played together quite a bit during playtime. What a beautiful group of girls!



Or not! They were so silly making faces and funny noises. It made me wonder how much their teachers had to put up with those kind of shenanigans this year. Ms. Joan and Ms. Francis were old school teachers. I doubt they got away with too much silliness during class time! We weren't able to get a photo with Ms. Joan as she wasn't able to be there for graduation, but we were pleased to get a photo with Ms. Francis. Ms. Francis was so good to her students this year, showering them with gifts at each holiday. We'll miss our preschool teachers so much!



We all waited in the auditorium for the graduates to appear. It felt like forever due to our squirmy little man! He's suddenly turned into Spider Man and can maneuver himself out of anyone's grasp! Finally, the moment we'd been waiting for arrived. They doors opened and our sweet graduates skipped down the aisle. Maura focused like a laser bean on her family sitting in the third row. I was so happy to have an aisle seat to capture the look on her face.



Pure joy and excitement! I was so glad that Brent was able to be there with me to witness this special moment in her life. I hope she remembers this day as she gets older. I remember bits and pieces of preschool and it's always such a happy memory for me. The graduates from left to right were: Maura, Madelyn, Sarah, Luke, Owen, Bella, Macy, Landon, Luke and Avery.



They had a cute little program complete with hand motions. It was funny to watch Maura's class struggle with the caps during the whole performance. Bella's fell off at one point and she spent a whole song trying to put it back on. Finally, it was time for graduation. Maura's name came first, so she showed the other kids how it's done. She marched purposefully up onto the stage to accept her medal and diploma.



She left the stage waving, so proud of herself! We were so proud of her too. We attempted a family photo with our recently graduated daughter, but of course this is the best of the lot!



Aunt Emily and Grammy were both there to be part of Maura's big day. I think it made it extra special for her to see that her Grammy and Aunt were there for her.



Thumbs up, we did it!! After the ceremony, they ushered us into the fellowship hall, which they had all decorated for the cake and ice cream reception. It was so nice! They had a reserved table for each of the graduates with balloons, a personalized figurine, books and a CD to keep and a cardboard mortarboard to take home with us. They certainly go all out at this preschool and it doesn't go unappreciated!



Even Bennett had a little entertainment. We feel so blessed the Maura was able to be a part of such a wonderful preschool. Her experiences there and at her other preschool have all been so positive and I know she's going to do great in kindergarten. Kindergarten, here we come, ready or not!!


post signature

1 comment:

Angie said...

I will miss our carpools and hearing the girls talk about their day. I hear it is already full for next year. I will certainly miss the religious component of Sarah's education when she begins public school. What a blessing Building Blocks is to students and parents!