So, after suffering through an extremely cold and rainy spring, we've finally been blessed with some beautiful weather. It only took until mid May to get there! We're loving the backyard this year, with the sandbox, swing set and newly refurbished patio furniture. It's our own little oasis. The kids ask to play outside every single day, and Bennett is not going to be left out. He's done his share of sand tasting. I guess maybe it doesn't taste as bad to him since he doesn't have any teeth for it to grind between! In the photo below, Bennett had just stood up by himself for the first time ever. He just popped right up and stood on his own for about three seconds. Unfortunately, I was just a little late to capture it in a photo!
Maura and Tristan are loving the sandbox and MOSTLY following the rules about throwing sand and keeping it in the sandbox. I can pretty much guarantee that I have to wash the kids' hair after an afternoon in the sandbox, though! I think they're taking me seriously these days. I shut up the sandbox last fall due to some difficulty following directions. Tristan is turning into my little surfer dude this summer. Look at that hair. I LOVE it, but it's just a matter of time before it's gone for good--Brent is already threatening!
MMM, smores on the porch! We brought Sarah home from school one day for a water play date. Is there anything better than sunshine and smores? Sure--butterflies too! We raised some butterflies from caterpillars from a kit that we ordered off the Internet. The kids LOVED watching the caterpillars eat, turn into cocoons, and later hatch out into butterflies. It was incredible to watch the transformation. God's creation truly reflects His majesty.
Our beautiful Painted Lady butterflies. We kept all of our butterflies for a day or two and then released them into the wide world to live out their days. Maura loved the thought that they would go on to lay eggs and make new butterflies. She can't wait to order some more caterpillars!Below: Water play has been really fun, but recently the kids have adopted a new game called "Baptise." It involved a rather forceful baptism down into the water, generally accompanied by a holding down of the baptisee under the water for a bit. I'm sure the kids have been inspired by the recent run of baptisms at church, but we've had to put a stop to this game. We explained that they were going to have to wait for their real baptism to experience baptism!

Who is that blurry boy? Why, that would be my little champion. Last year, Lorie entered Alexandra in a local maternity fair's Diaper Derby, all while I was hugely pregnant with Bennett. Alex won third prize, but we weren't satisfied. Lorie and I both felt like a little more advanced planning would win the thing. We started making plans for Bennett to compete in the Diaper Derby before he was even born! When he started crawling, it was evident that we had a potential winner on our hands--he's a fast little booger! We kept telling him he wasn't allowed to walk until after the Diaper Derby. On one extraordinarily rainy Saturday in May, I took Bennett up to the maternity fair for his brush with destiny. Lorie held him at the starting line while I set up an assortment of his favorite toys and balls at the opposite side. When they rang the bell, he started off like a shot, only to stop in his tracks to check out the screaming people to his right. It took a little bit of frantic ball waving and shouting on my part and he was off again. He beat his competition by a good minute! I was so proud of my baby champ!

Wow, it felt like I was in front of the paparazzi! I had to go on stage with Bennett to accept his award--a trophy and a $100 gift certificate!! THRILLED!! Bennett was just happy to have his ball in hand. I can't wait to spend that money on my baby! Maura and Tristan were ecstatic when I called to tell them that Bennett had won. They've been telling everyone who will listen about Bennett's big win and shiny trophy! I'm so glad they're so proud of their baby brother. They all make my heart happy!!

Who is that blurry boy? Why, that would be my little champion. Last year, Lorie entered Alexandra in a local maternity fair's Diaper Derby, all while I was hugely pregnant with Bennett. Alex won third prize, but we weren't satisfied. Lorie and I both felt like a little more advanced planning would win the thing. We started making plans for Bennett to compete in the Diaper Derby before he was even born! When he started crawling, it was evident that we had a potential winner on our hands--he's a fast little booger! We kept telling him he wasn't allowed to walk until after the Diaper Derby. On one extraordinarily rainy Saturday in May, I took Bennett up to the maternity fair for his brush with destiny. Lorie held him at the starting line while I set up an assortment of his favorite toys and balls at the opposite side. When they rang the bell, he started off like a shot, only to stop in his tracks to check out the screaming people to his right. It took a little bit of frantic ball waving and shouting on my part and he was off again. He beat his competition by a good minute! I was so proud of my baby champ!
Wow, it felt like I was in front of the paparazzi! I had to go on stage with Bennett to accept his award--a trophy and a $100 gift certificate!! THRILLED!! Bennett was just happy to have his ball in hand. I can't wait to spend that money on my baby! Maura and Tristan were ecstatic when I called to tell them that Bennett had won. They've been telling everyone who will listen about Bennett's big win and shiny trophy! I'm so glad they're so proud of their baby brother. They all make my heart happy!!







2 comments:
Family of champs!
Wow. I love the story about the diaper derby!
Post a Comment