Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tristan's Tractor birthday

WAY back on May 7th, we held Tristan's birthday party. This is officially the last year I'll get to pick the theme of the party. In fact, I had to do a bit of tap dancing to get him to allow me to throw a tractor themed birthday party. It's not that he doesn't LOVE tractors--he does. He gets his John Deeres out all the time and plays with them for hours. It's just that he LOVES Cars. I mean, the movie. With the release of Cars 2 this summer, I don't see an end to that addiction coming anytime soon. I saw the possibility of having to throw not one but TWO licensed character Cars parties two years in a row and couldn't do it! Besides, I had already planned the whole thing out in my head before he announced that he wanted a Cars party! Does this make me a bad mommy?? Thankfully, he loved the tractor party. He was so very, very excited by it all. We held the party at our church, and my sisters were once again gracious enough to give me tons of help the night before. I truly couldn't have done it without them!



I had so much fun making this cake. My friend Rachel and I worked for hours on this baby! Isn't that fence the cutest thing? She made it for me! I spent forever trying to tint the fondant to just the right color to make the John Deere tractor for the top--Tristan couldn't wait to eat it!



We had an old fashioned farm cookout with pork barbecue, baked beans, potato chips, veggies and dip. Mmm.



The kids entered the party through our barn doors with their farm friends keeping watch.



Treat bags and PB&J in farmyard friend shapes.



There was plenty of tractor crossing to be had as we brought the tractor riding toys into the church foyer due to the rainy weather. Tristan was so excited about riding the tractors around the church and he loved all the decorations and fun. Honestly, I could have just done balloons and streamers and he would have been just as happy. This little man was so ridiculously pleased that it was his birthday that he was prepared to enjoy everything about the party!



Maura and Bennett were almost as excited to be there. Maura loves a good party just as much as her momma. She helped me make sure the centerpieces were just so. Bennett was just thrilled by the atmosphere of chaos and excitement. This baby just enjoys being in the middle of everything. I guess that's a good thing! It didn't hurt that there were balloons galore!



Caleb, Grammy and Bennett all enjoying the fun.



Lorie, and Alex came to party with us despite Uncle Micah feeling sick.

Below: Lovin' on my boys. I'm such a lucky momma to have not one but two sweet boys!



Nan and Poppa came to take part in all the fun and we loved having them there. Tristan was SO excited when they showed up. He couldn't wait for them to see his party and celebrate his birthday!

Below: Pappap was on baby duty. He and Alex look so thrilled about that!



Brent and I were so happy to share this special day with our precious child. Our sweet, funny, opinionated three year old is truly a gift from God. We were so blessed when God chose to add him to our family. I cannot imagine life without my big boy!

Below: Nan and Poppa enjoyed being there for all the festivities. I think that having Poppa at his party was the icing on the cake for Tristan. We sing songs about Tristan and Poppa on the tractor EVERY single night!



Grammy and Pappap helped to round out the party. Tristan loved showing off his new tractor to them. Pappap had already seen it, though. He put it together! Thanks Pappap!

Below: Pin the wheel on the tractor. You'd think someone who spent this long cutting out a tractor silhouette would actually remember a blindfold!



The kids loved a version of an egg and spoon relay where they carried tractors on spoons. I wish I had photos of them running it--they're just a blur!

Below: The kids had to help the farmer find his missing eggs. They LOVED it. So far we're two for three with birthday parties involving egg hunts. It pays to have your birthday fall after Easter candy clearance time!



Avery was just too busy plowing the fields to participate in a silly egg hunt, but the girls were all over it! I had to limit Maura and Sarah or they would have found every egg!



Tristan was pretty happy with his haul, but ready for some CAKE!



It was the moment he'd been waiting for for months! He stood shyly, but happily, while we all sang happy birthday, then blew lots of spit on the cake blowing out the candles!




Finally, tired but happy, it was time for gifts. He was so excited to receive lots of John Deere toys. Tristan's joy on his birthday was almost palpable. It was so much fun to watch him enjoy his party, playing his heart out with the jumpy house, ride on tractors and playdoh. I'm so glad he enjoyed his tractor party--so much so that he asked the next day if we could go back to that party! Umm, sure little man, you'll just have to wait 364 more days!



When Nan and Poppa left the next morning, they made Tristan's joy even more complete as they allowed Tristan to "help" Nan back out the motorcycle. I'll have to watch out, or the next party is likely to have a Harley Davidson theme! It was a wonderful weekend topped off with a visit with Nan and Poppa and the joy of celebrating motherhood on Mother's day. More pictures on that to follow!




post signature

No comments: