Brent's parents were so blessed to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary on August 14th. Just a few days ahead of that, we took a trip to celebrate that milestone with them--only they didn't know it yet! Brent and his siblings had been talking about a 40th anniversary party for a year. We all knew we wanted to do something, and we ended up deciding on a surprise anniversary picnic. Amy did most of the hard work of planning and tracking down old friends. I didn't know how we were ever going to keep it a surprise! Amy even kept her visit a surprise until she showed up on their doorstep on Friday. I think my mother-in-law almost had a heart attack when she opened the door to find her granddaughters on the doorstep. We rolled in a few hours later in time for an awesome dinner and a huge cookie!

The cousins were as thrilled to see each other as always. This crew has a great time together. I love watching my kids play with their cousins. I have so many wonderful memories of childhood that include my own cousins. I think having all the grandchildren together made Nan's birthday extra special. So did her pink BB gun from Poppa. You'd better believe that all the kids immediately wanted to shoot it(they didn't get to!).


I wish I could say I took more photos from this weekend, but Amy and I left early on Saturday to start setting up for the party. We gave the stories that I was attending a medical conference, and Amy was shadowing a chef at a bakery for the day. Chuck and
Sherran bought it hook, line and sinker. We were gone the WHOLE day and Amy had arranged for babysitters so that Chuck,
Sherran and our husbands could join us for a "birthday dinner" in the evening. Apparently there was much complaining on the part of Chuck and
Sherran who didn't exactly feel like going out to dinner after helping to watch the kids all day long! Brent almost couldn't get them out of the house, but finally managed it. They were told that Brent had to stop at the home of a friend to borrow a book and once again it took some convincing to get them to stop. When they did, fifty or so of their closest friends and relatives welcomed them to their party. I don't think I've ever seen them so shocked. I can't believe that we pulled of this surprise. It was a lovely picnic and I think everyone enjoyed it. Happy Anniversary Chuck and
Sherran! Consequently, we didn't spend a lot of time at the house on this particular weekend, so I don't have many of the customary cute cousin pictures. Too bad! At least we have the memories of these sweet kids playing together. We attempted one(or ten) last picture before we headed home. Cheese!! It was a wonderful weekend to celebrate the lives and love of two very special people.

No comments:
Post a Comment