Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I'm THAT Mom

It's the second day of school. Maura wakes up in the morning looking a bit puny. She sniffs and coughs a bit and I take her temperature for the heck of it...99 degrees. Not a fever in my book! By the time breakfast rolled around, she was doing laps around the table chasing Tristan. I sent her to school. I thought that if she felt well enough to play tag, she felt well enough to go to school. By that afternoon, though, she looked like a little wilted flower. She actually fell asleep on a towel in the yard because she was so tired. Totally uncharacteristic for my girl! The next morning was exactly the same. This time, her temp was 99.5--still not a clinically significant temperature, but remembering the previous day, I opted to keep her home from school...but not home. No, it was a gorgeous sunny day so I called up Lorie and we took a trip to the zoo. I never thought of myself as a truant! Maybe I am. I know that education is important, but I figure that if there's ever a time to take her out of school, kindergarten is the time to do it!
Zebras and cheetahs and giraffes, OH my! We came in on the side of the zoo where they have a cheetah show and it was just getting ready to start. Bonus! Maura is obsessed with cheetahs these days and I knew she'd love to see the cheetah show, where they get the cheetahs to run at top speed. We were all excited about the show--until about two minutes in when Tristan informed me that he had to go to the bathroom and he absolutely, positively, no way could hold it. Sigh. I left the other kids with Lorie and went off in search of a bathroom. By the time we got back, the cheetah show was over and Tristan LOST it when he realized he'd missed it. Sigh.
Alex loves Bennett and Bennett loves Alex. They're super cute together, except when it comes to sharing toys! Despite their tiffs, they always have huge smiles for each other when they greet each other.
We encountered a tortoise as we walked along. The kids were so excited and wanted to pet it, but I just knew one was going to accidentally step on it(cough, cough...Tristan!).

You know, the thing about going to the zoo with kids is that you never see more than a fourth of it. Between the potty breaks, snack breaks, lunch time and playground, I think we probably didn't spend more than an hour looking at animals!
My kids did enjoy the petting zoo and the chance to get up close and personal with some friendly goats. They were so friendly that I was pretty sure one was going to eat Tristan's shirt! We had a lovely day at the zoo, and despite Maura's puniness, she managed to walk the whole way. She did crash in the car, further evidence of her probable illness...what a terrible mother I am!!
Finally..."Look at me!! I'm fourteen months old and I just got my very first tooth!!"

post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

You REBEL!!! ;o) I can't believe B is just now getting his first tooth!