Sunday, October 23, 2011

State Fair 2011

I look forward to August every year, not because it's the start of football season, but because it's the month of the State Fair. I have a deep, deep love of the fair. My parents took our whole family when we moved to Kentucky WAY back in 1988 and I haven't missed many opportunities to visit it since. Ever since Maura was born and I became a SAHM, I have a tradition of going to the fair with my mom and sisters. Poor Brent usually gets left out because it's so much nicer to go during the week when it's less crowded. I usually try to bring him back some fudge to make up for missing it. I was really sad this year, thinking that we'd have to leave Maura behind to attend kindergarten..until I read the yearbook. A visit to the State Fair is an excused absence. Yay! We were good to go!
We just had to pose for our traditional State Fair photo. I like how it's now all children and I'm no longer expected to be part of the photo! From left to right: Bennett, Alexandra, Maura, Tristan and Haylie(Alex's bestie).
Below: We went straight in to see some of the most amazing balloon art I've ever seen. It was incredible and the alligator's mouth even opened and closed. We could hardly peel the kids away--of course they wanted to go under the chains and play with the balloons.
We started in the Exhibition Hall, where all sorts of organizations have booths. I was especially drawn to this one. The FBI. I wonder what committee decided that having life size cutouts of FBI agents carrying assault rifles for children to stick their heads through was a good idea? Hilarious. Of course we had to participate!
One of my favorite fair activities is Safety Town. The state police set up a "town" complete with signs and stoplights the the kids ride tricycles through the obstacles. I realised this year that Maura is technically too big to participate. Sadness!
They had lots of precious baby animals in the same hall for a petting zoo. I think my kids could have spent hours there watching the ducklings, baby pigs, rabbits and peacocks. Unfortunately, Alex and Haylie didn't feel the same way!
But not before Bennett tried to join the petting zoo. He would have succeeded too, had it not been for his Budda belly! This baby loves animals SOOO much! If he had succeeded in getting in the cage, I have no doubt that he would have laid his little body over the sheep and given him an open mouth slobber kiss. That's pretty much what he does to our cat every time he sees her.
Below: On to the merchandise hall, where Alex found a sweet place to hang out. Lucky for her, Grammy thought is was too and she might just be seeing it again.

Where else, but the fair can you see incredible cakes and even more incredible quilts? The kids went crazy over the cakes. Maura wanted me to take a photo of every single one. The quilts were not quite as exciting for them. We did a speed walk through those aisles with the kids whining about when we were going to be done!
Bennett finally gave up and went to sleep in his stroller. Sweet baby! I don't think I've ever had one who could sleep through something like the fair at this age!
Below: It's just not a visit to the fair without a stroll through the cattle barns. Tristan is a wee bit sensitive to smells. He even holds his nose when he's on the toilet! He'll be the first to dime you out if you ever happen to pass gas in his presence! He spent the entire walk through the cattle barns with his nose firmly pinched in his fingers. Just slightly embarrassing!

We visited one of my absolute favorite displays, the egg incubator. We stood and watched this little guy for about ten minutes, thinking he'd make an appearance any second, but no luck!
Below: Bennett's first taste of cotton candy. He liked it. He liked it a lot.
We just HAD to go find the prize winning pumpkin for one last photos op. Alas, this was only the second place winner, but it's the only one we could get close to. It was truly a fabulous day at eh fair, filled with fun, family and fabulous food(think Deep Fried Snickers...mmm.).
Thanks, Grammy, for always being willing to endure the fair with four children in tow!(Notice Tristan behind her, still holding his nose!)

post signature

No comments: