At last the day came. I crowded into the classroom with what felt like hundreds of people(or maybe just 100--two kindergarten classes of 24X2 when they brought their parents=100). It was more than a little overwhelming. The teacher handed out folders for the parents to peruse as they waited to meet her. I started reading her letter to parents...and lost it. The letter started like this, "Dear Parents, It is my privilege, indeed my honor, to be the kindergarten teacher to you precious child." It went on to say later, "You are probably wondering if I have a church family. I do! We worship at ********* Church. My precious Lord had been my ultimate caregiver. I have a beautiful love story about my journey, which has been printed in the newspaper twice. I never tire of telling about my adventures that challenged and uplifted me during this time." I was reduced to a sobbing mess--right before it was time to meet the teacher. I'm sure I had "CRAZY" stamped on my forehead, but that letter just felt like a confirmation from God that He was going to hold my sweet child in His hands and care for her this year. It was truly an emotional thing, being confronted by my unbelief and His provision.
Needless to say, Maura was completely oblivious to all of this drama. She was SO excited to be there and play with all the toys and stations they had in the classroom. She was precious when meeting her teacher. While her momma sniffled behind her, she marched right up to meet Mrs. V and asked her what they would be learning about this year. Her teacher seems like a truly kind soul who really cares about the children in her class. In fact, the teacher's granddaughter is in Maura's class, a fact that made me really feel good!
Maura couldn't wait to get started, especially after she took a tour of the school and saw the music, and art rooms and the gym. She still had a week and a half to wait and it was hard for her! Getting all her school supplies and her new backpack helped her to channel some of that excitement.
Now, school has been in session for at least eight weeks. I won't say that it's all sunshine and roses, but I will say that I feel much more at peace with our decision to send her on to school this year. She is loving it and is MUCH more anxious to please her teacher than she ever is me! We've tabled the homeschooling talk for now, but we may revisit the issue in the future. Who knows what's in our future--I just know that God will be holding us and guiding us all the way.






1 comment:
God will take good care of your baby! School is good for kids. Maura will love it, and as always we just have to trust in Him. Love you!
Post a Comment