Saturday, September 11, 2010

State Fair Extravaganza!

Two weeks ago, we attended one of my very favorite end of summer activities--the State Fair. I love the State Fair for the very same reason that Templeton the Rat(Charlotte's Web) loved the fair--for the food. This year, the fair organizers sent out a very tongue in cheek brochure, featuring deep fried rubber duckies with the slogan--"State Fair, home of "do you think we could deep fry this?"" LOVE it! Everything that can be deep fried is covered in batter and plunged into hot oil and eaten with gusto!! I myself did partake of one of my favorites--the deep fried Snickers bar. Mmmm. Of course, there are other reasons to love the fair too, not the least of which is the chance to be there with family. Mom, Lorie, Alex and Katie alll came with us, so we prepared for a really fun day together.

We had to stop and pose for our annual Freddy photo. Freddy has apparently appeared at the fair for over forty years. In this photo, Maura, Tristan, Katie, Lorie, Alex, Me and Bennett all chatted with Freddy.

Below: We encountered this exhibit as soon as we walked into the first hall. Everything was made of balloons. Maura and Tristan LOVED it!



Grammy with all her crazy grand kids in balloon world. These were some excited fair-going kids. I was so excited about the fair this year that I talked to the kids about it for weeks in advance. By the time the actual day arrived, you would have thought we were headed to Disney World!

Below: Oh, I could just squeeze this baby boy!! He loves his Grammy and I was happy to hand him off. He was ten weeks old on the day of the fair. You can't see his outfit, but he's got a barn, a tractor and a cow on his shirt. He was all dressed up for his fair debut. He was such a good baby at the fair. I fed him three times in the Rock and Relax room and the rest of the time he pretty much snoozed in his stroller or Moby wrap. I wouldn't mind if this one stayed a baby for MUCH longer!
Maura and the peacock. Peacocks are one of those animals that Maura impersonates on a fairly regular basis. We have one particular scarf that she frequently tucks into the waistband of her pants and then she runs flapping and squawking around the house. It's quite a sight.

Below: I loved this new exhibit at the fair where they brought a lot of the animals indoors for a petting zoo and farming information exhibit. These pigs were adorable. The sow laid down to nurse for a long time, but when she got up, I had to sympathize with her--I feel like this sometimes!!


The baby chicks are one of my all time favorite exhibits. I love to see the babies hatching and see these adorable fluffy chicks.


Below: Maura and Tristan both got their drivers license from the State Police and rode their trikes around Safety Town. Tristan was hilarious. He chose a much too small trike and had difficulty pedaling it! He looked so funny on that tiny trike. Aunt Lorie had to help both him and Alexandra around the course!

We managed to find a tractor exhibit and my boy was in seventh heaven. He had a really hard time waiting his turn to drive and he loved climbing on the big tractor.


My third child was decidedly unimpressed. He does love the Moby wrap, though. I got so many comments and smiles while holding this baby in his wrap. People wanted to know all about it.


Two sweet kids in a tire.


Look how happy this boy is!! He frequently tells me, "Mommy, I have an idea!! Go see tractors!(One of his favorite activities to do with Daddy.) Get the keys!"


Alexandra was NOT happy to ride in her stroller while there was a cool wagon around for transportation. Maura graciously gave up her hard plastic wagon seat opposite her kicking brother in favor of the cushy stroller. Tristan feels a need to get up in Alex's face. She is not amused by this!

These two are cousins, but they act like brother and sister. I hope they love each other like brother and sister someday too.



We loved the animal exhibits and could not help breaking into spontaneous song when we saw this sheep. "Baa, Baa, Black Sheep." He even had a black tongue.

This is as close as Bennett got the the animals. He had a great view of this champion steer!




Tristan liked the cows pretty well...

But he was MUCH more impressed by the prize winning watermelon. I asked the kids to show me how big the watermelon was with their hands.



THESE guys are my prizes! Behind us was onen gargantuous pumpkin!

My favorite cake from the fair this year was this "Dancing With the Stars" themed cake!



Is it any wonder that I attracted a lot of attention while wearing this baby? He is so stinkin' cute!

At last, tired, happy, and full of fair food we headed home! We grabbed a pound of fudge to share with daddy and left the fair for another year.



post signature

2 comments:

Angie said...

Looks so fun! After seeing you guys there I wish I had gone. Maybe next year.

Michael and Hannah said...

Did you eat a krispy kreme burger?? Love the picture of you with Bennett in the sling.