Thursday, September 23, 2010

Whole Birthdays and Half Birthdays

I love birthdays. Actually, I love any reason to celebrate, which is why we have so many fun events in my family. I hope that my love of fun and celebration will be passed on to my children and that they will have happy memories of childhood because of the spontaneous moments of pleasure that our little celebrations bring to them. As you might imagine, birthdays are exciting events in our family and we were lucky enough to celebrate three recently.
We all gathered at my parents' house to celebrate Lorie's birthday on September 10th. I can't even remember the last time that Jeff was around to celebrate anybodies birthday with them, so it was really special to have Uncle Jeff in the mix. I had to seize the opportunity to snap some photos of Jeff with his nieces and nephews. I try to show the kids photos of Jeff and his other faraway aunts and uncles often so that they'll feel a connection with them when they see them.


For Lorie's birthday this year, she wanted to have a movie night and project the movie onto the side of my parents' barn. Such a fun idea. It was the second time we've done so this summer and was even better than being in a movie theater. Even sweet Bennett got in on the action, but his part is only to nurse through the whole movie. Alexandra absolutely LOVES Bennett and goes to talk with him every chance she gets. She says, "Baby!" and pats his head(sometimes gently, sometimes not so much!) So cute!


This baby boy doesn't suffer from a lack of hugs and cuddles! He is his parents' pride and joy. He captures our heart each and every time he smiles that devastating smile at us!


Lorie was ready to get this party started. Happy Birthday Lorie!!
The very next day, we celebrated a very different kind of birthday. It was Maura's half birthday! We are nuts to celebrate this relative non-event, but I remember how long it felt between birthdays when I was a child and I want to give my kids something to look forward to. I made Maura a half cake and our friends Angie, Sarah and Leah came for dinner and we were ready to party!



I've been waiting for an excuse to give Maura this cool castle book and she LOVES it. I knew she would. Maura lives in a fantasy world half the time. She spends a lot of time pretending to be a unicorn, Pegasus or dragon. Now she actually has castles too. Sarah, AKA Sleeping Beauty was pretty jazzed about the castles too. She spends all HER spare time as a princess!
Happy Half Birthday Maura-moo. Hard to believe you'll be turning five in just a few short months!



I just had to include these photos from the other day when we went up to have lunch with Brent. We try to have lunch with him on game days so that the kids actually get to see him. They love visiting the school, writing on the boards and hiding in the lockers. On this particular day, Maura asked Brent to set up the chess board. I don't think Brent could have been more proud when she said she loved playing chess. It's his dream come true. He's been waiting for someone to play chess with. She even "beat" him!! So proud!


post signature

No comments: