Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Escape!

We're escaping! I know every new mother feels the same way after a few weeks of in-home captivity. I'm getting cabin fever!! I'm loving every minute with my two kiddos, but the walls of this house are starting to close in! I'm starting to really enjoy trips to the gas station to fill up the car and errands to the pharmacy to pick up thank you notes. That's when you know that you've been out of it for too long! On Sunday, I had the opportunity to really escape the confines of the house. Our church held a pig roast on the farm of one of the elders. It was a nice day and I figured that most people would be outside, so we decided to take Tristan and go! I'm so glad we did. I really enjoyed the fellowship and the chance to show Tristan off. So many people have been anxious to meet him. We kept him in the car seat most of the time so that no one would feel inclined to touch him and everyone was respectful of that. I loved our little "first outing."

Maura really enjoyed the pig roast, and especially the buffet table. She kept running back to it to check out her other options. I think the chips were her favorite. She's a great eater and she loves variety! I'm not sure how much I got to eat between policing her and keeping Tristan from fussing! I didn't care--I was out of the house!

Maura was so proud to show off her baby brother. She kept climbing up on the stroller to give him kisses, I think mostly to show off!

Can you tell that we stayed till the very end? Tristan got VERY hungry and as I took care of that, everyone left to go outside and they took down all the tables and chairs. I hope we didn't overstay our welcome!

The Allen family of four's first picture out and about. First of many, I'd say!

Monday was my first day home alone with both kids. I was a little apprehensive, but everything went fine. We didn't make it downstairs until almost 10:00, but that was OK. Maura was more interested in reading books than eating breakfast and I didn't argue. We just took our time and enjoyed our morning. I took both kids out for a walk in our new double stroller and LOVE it. I can actually steer it one handed, something I can't even say for my single stroller. I think both kiddos enjoyed the fresh air! I managed to get both kids to take naps at the same time when we got back and I actually got a leisurely shower. My friend Rachel made dinner for us, so we didn't have to worry about that, but Maura and I even made a cake together in the afternoon. All in all, it was a great day and I hope we have many more relaxed days just like it!

Happy Two Week Birthday little one! It's so hard to believe he's already been here for two whole weeks. We realize how truly blessed we are to be entrusted with this little man. We love him so much already and can hardly wait to enjoy every minute with him as he grows. As if I don't already document every moment of my children's life on film, I got my sister to come today to take two week photos of him. I'll post them tomorrow when I've had a chance to crop and fix them so that we're not exposing a little too much!


Today we caught Tristan sucking his thumb. I wondered if he had sucked his thumb in the womb because he loves having his hands up by his face all the time. Only a few times since birth, though, has he found his thumb. I think it's so cute, although I still think I'd rather have him sucking on a paci. I can throw away a paci when we get ready to wean it, I can't throw away a thumb!




Not the most flattering picture of me taken recently, but I guess it's worthwhile to remember how tired you are in the first few weeks. I'm really lucky to have a super supportive husband who does a lot to help out around the house and with the kids. Brent has actually been doing the first night feeding for me. He's been staying up until 12 or 1 in the morning and waiting for Tristan to wake up for his feeding. He gives him a bottle and then brings him to bed. If he didn't do that, I'm not sure if I'd still be standing. More than two feedings a night is too much for me!! I think it makes me a better mommy to have a little more rest! I really appreciate my man! Thanks honey!

We did take Tristan to the doctor today for his first well baby check up. He's doing well, starting to regain his weight. Optimally, he would be back up to his birth weight today, but he only weighed 9'2". He's gaining, so the doctor isn't too worried, but I do have to take him back for a weight check on Friday. I talked with the lactation consultant today too, so we have some new strategies to try. Otherwise, he's a very healthy little guy! We're proud of our little man.

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Oh if only my babies would take have taken a bottle! My sweet hubby has never been of any use in feeding babies! I'm still getting up 2-3 times a night with Anna Kate. Argh. Wish I could have partied at the pig roast with y'all!