Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mother's Day 2008

Happy Mother's day everyone!! I know I'm a little behind. I planned on blogging this on Sunday, but babies tend to ruin plans! I've been so tired lately because Tristan has his days and nights a little mixed up. I've been spending every spare moment that they're both down for naps taking a nap myself. I remember trying to keep my house clean in the moments that Maura slept as an infant and later regretting that I didn't sleep myself, so I'm not making that mistake this time. My mom has been here with me all week long and she's doing most of the housekeeping and cooking duties, so I've been trying to relax and rest. I've really appreciated her help and my house, including my pantry and laundry room has never been cleaner!! Mom has even been spending the night, so I can hand off the baby to her after a particularly bad night and head back to bed. Thanks Mom!! You're the best! I guess it's fitting that I thank you in my Mother's day post!


We celebrated Mother's Day at our house this year. We figured that it would just be easier to do it at our house so that I could put Maura and Tristan down for naps when they needed them. Everyone came over after church and brought part of the meal so that I didn't have to cook, other than to marinate some chicken. It was nice just to have a laid back Mother's Day. The weather was really crummy, so we all pretty much just visited and relaxed on the couches! Here I am with my sweet babies. I love being a mommy to two kids. I'm so blessed by them and they bring joy to my life every single day. I really enjoyed my first Mother's Day as a mommy of two.

The ONLY picture I took of my mom on Mother's Day. It would have made sense to take a picture of the two of us together, but NO, didn't even occur to me! Happy Mother's Day, mom!

The whole crew. Katie's boyfriend, Scott, and Emily's boyfriend, Brad, both came, so we had a pretty full house. Brent regaled us with stories about life out in the field with the Army, so it was an interesting dinner conversation!

Happy Mother's day to me!! I got some movies from the kids and some new pajamas from my parents. Brent had just bought me some beautiful earrings to celebrate Tristan's birth, so I told him not to get me anything else. My new earrings are Sapphire set into white gold. They match the ring, necklace and bracelet that he's bought me on other occasions, so now I have a complete set. It was a great Mother's Day and I really enjoyed it, especially the nap that I got to take late in the afternoon!

Last weekend, Maura and I made Big Girl cupcakes together. I'm trying to do things with her that make her feel really special because I know that a lot of the attention has been focused on Tristan. So, Maura got to come stand at the counter with me and pour in all the ingredients and help mix them up. She loved it! Later on, we decorated them together too. I did all the icing, but she applied all the sprinkles. I think she ate about half the sprinkles too, but in the end they all got decorated.

Maura REALLY enjoyed her cupcake!

My sister Emily had been in South Carolina last week when I had Tristan, so she didn't get to meet him until Saturday. After she finished work on Saturday afternoon, she came by to meet her new nephew. It was so fun to get to introduce Tristan to his Auntie. Of course he slept through it! Emily thought he was adorable.


Her boyfriend Brad stopped by to visit too. His mom sent a present for the baby, which I thought was really sweet. I've never even met her!

On Saturday morning, our friends Rachel and Avery Franklin came to meet Tristan. I didn't take any pictures of Rachel with the baby, but we did lay the little guys down on a blanket for some sweet pictures. Avery was born at the end of November, making him almost six months older than Tristan, but we know they'll grow up to be good buddies. We figured that we'll have to show this picture at their high school graduation!

Maura loves to get up on the counter to be next to Tristan's seat. She thinks she's such a big girl.

She's so interested in the baby and continually asks, "What's he doin'?

Giving Tristan kisses. She loves kissing her baby brother and stops the swing all the time to give him a kiss. I encourage any and all displays of affection toward the baby because I think they're so sweet!

Maura in her "nest." I can hardly get the Boppy away to nurse the baby.

Tristan's first walk. It was so nice on Monday evening that we couldn't pass up the opportunity to get out and walk. I tried getting the double stroller out so the kids could ride together, but it stuck and defeated me. I'll have to spend a little more time working with it and figuring how to open it! Tristan didn't mind--he just slept and slept in his car seat.

My sweet boy smiling. I love the faces that newborns make while they sleep, and I especially love the little smiles he makes. How adorable!

Our friends Angie and Sarah stopped by on Tuesday for a visit. Angie got to meet Tristan in the hospital, but children aren't allowed to visit. Sarah has been so excited to meet Tristan, probably more so than Maura. Angie says she talks about holding Tristan and kissing him all the time. She loved him!

Sweet Tristan, one week old. I realized at about 11pm that I hadn't taken a close up shot of him on his one week birthday, so I snapped this one. Like always, he was asleep!
Today, though, Tristan had a good awake time in the afternoon. About the time Brent got home, he woke up and spent a lot of time looking around. I wanted to get some pictures of him with his eyes open for once! I love my boys!

What a nice family. They make me so happy.

My handsome boy. When he's awake I think he looks like Brent in his eyes and lips. The nose is definitely mine!

Oh, so this is what the world looks like during the daytime!!

I just loved this little smirk. We're just having so much fun with our little boy. What a precious addition to our family.

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Love that 1-week pic of him in his swing! What a handsome guy!!! Happy Mother' Day, Julie!