Monday, May 12, 2008

Tristan's first days at home.

We're really enjoying having our two kiddos home to enjoy "normal" life together. Brent took the rest of the week off last week to spend it with me and the kids. I really needed him to be home just to make sure things ran smoothly while Tristan and I worked on getting in a good nursing groove! It's so hard to remember how many hours you sit and nurse at first with a newborn. I forgot how long it takes them to eat, and then how you have to turn around and do it again in just another hour or so! Tristan and I have gotten to be good friends with the Boppy, when we can get it away from Maura, who loves it and calls it her "blue nest." Brent says we're just going to have to get her one of her own to avoid conflict! I don't think that's entirely necessary, being that we currently own five(yes, five) Boppies!(obsessive anyone??) Anyway, Tristan is getting the hang of nursing pretty well, we just have difficulty trying to keep him awake while eating. I took him to the doctor's just to weigh him today and he's lost weight down to eight pounds, fifteen ounces. It bothers me to no end that he's losing weight, even though I know it's going to happen. I plan on taking him back on Wednesday to weigh again and I'd be very surprised if he's still losing. He really does still look like a BIG baby, despite losing almost a pound!!

I wanted to post a picture of Maura at the same age as Tristan. This photo was taken on Day 3 for each of them. I really think that Maura and Tristan look a lot alike. You can certainly see a family resemblance, although I think that Maura had prettier girl features and Tristan is definitely boyish looking. I think they both have my nose and Brent's mouth and both look like Brent around the eyes. Tristan has Brent's hairline, which I think is hilarious. It's kind of hard to see on the photo, but Tristan has a widow's peak!

Sweet Maura, three days old.

Handsome Tristan Wesley, Day 3. This boy is LOVING his swing. He's been sleeping in either his swing or bouncy seat for the past two days. Mommy has to get some sleep sometime. Last night, I got a grand total of two hours of sleep by 6am. At that point, I handed the baby off to my mom and laid down for some real, uninterrupted sleep. Thank God for my mom!!

Friday was a big day for Tristan. We gave him his first sponge bath at home, which he hated! I can't say I blame him. I don't think it would be comfortable to just be sponged all over and not get to sit in the bathtub. I gave it to him in the morning, mistakenly thinking that it would wake him up for his next feeding. Instead, he cried so hard that I think it wore him out and he slept solid for the next six hours. Oh, how I would have loved for those six hours to have been at nighttime.

Maura "helped" give the baby a bath, which meant that she touched everything in the bathroom while we bathed him. I drew the line at her picking up the toilet brush and attempting to scrub the sink with it. Yuck!!

What a huge yawn! Like I said, he was worn out after the bath, and once I had him dressed in his stinkin' cute giraffe outfit, he was ready to drift off to dreamland.

Sleepy boy. I put him in his crib for the first time, thinking he'd be back up in a few minutes, but six hours later, I finally had to scrub him down with a cold washcloth to wake him. We've been a little more alert since, but nights and days are still a little mixed up. I'll post some more pictures of him tomorrow.

3 comments:

Michael and Hannah said...

The giraffe outfit is adorable! I'm so glad your mom is there so you can get some rest! Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!!!

Unknown said...

Dear Julie, thanks so much for sharing the photos and details on the net ... I am so happy for you and Brent!! He is indeed a beautiful boy! Love the name too!!
Hopefully, we can stop by to meet him in person before you guys make the move.
My heart is broken for your mom (especially), I would so miss regular contact with my grandbabies. I'll bet her tires will wear a grove in the path down to Columbus.
When you get settled in, put Callaway Gardens at the top of you "places to see" list. You will not be disappointed!! Be sure to pack the camera...
Congrats to you and your family, peg oberg

Michael and Hannah said...

I'm guessing you're low on sleep because you said you'd post more pictures tomorrow, and it's now Thursday! Been checking!

We're headed to Columbus today. They have the best kiddie hair salon in the world, and Wesley really needs it! See, there are good things about Columbus! ;o)