Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Family Time in Pennsylvania

This past weekend was truly eventful for our family. We travelled to Pennsylvania from June 27th till July 1 to help celebrate my grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary. When we first started planning the event, I wasn't sure if we were going to be able to go. We initially thought that we'd already be in Georgia for the mobilization and I wasn't going to drive 16 straight hours with a newborn to get there. Even the thought of driving 6-8 hours was a bit daunting. We eventually decided to drive up with my parents and spend a few extra days. I'm so glad now that we did make the trip. Even though the driving is a drag, I wouldn't have missed this event for the world. My grandparents are both in their eighties and I don't know how many more events like these that we'll have. It made my grandmother so happy to have the whole family together. All of their children and grandchildren were able to attend, which is a true feat of organization! Even my brother flew in from Florida to attend. We loved getting to hang out as a family and catch up.

I especially loved getting to introduce Tristan to my grandparents. My grandmother is particularly partial to boys, so it was such a joy to introduce her first male great-grandchild. She was so taken with him and he was such a good boy to enjoy all the attention.
Grandma played with Tristan throughout the whole weekend. I'm so glad that I have so many wonderful pictures of them with the kids to remember them by. Every time we get up for a visit I worry that it's our last time to see them. We don't get to Pennsylvania very often(our last visit was last July) so every time I see my grandparents, they've gotten a little older. I just try to really enjoy our visits and conversations and make as many memories as I can.
Maura loved playing with Pappap. She found a rubber snake on their patio that they use to scare away birds and it became her favorite plaything for the whole weekend. She loved putting it down the hole in the table and Pappap teased her by grabbing the end of it. She couldn't figure out why she couldn't pull it out! It was so funny.
Uncle Micah enjoying Tristan time.
Sweet Maura was the talk of the town. She kept us all so entertained. I'm not sure what we all talked about before she was born!

We took a walk up to my grandparent's church to scout out some spots for photographs. They had a nice little flower garden with a statue of Mary and a kneeling bench. Maura chose to use the kneeling bench for pull-ups and climbing upon. I quickly explained to her that it was a place for prayer and she decided she could do that too.
She loved the hydrangeas.
Tristan was such a good boy on our little vacation. He made the drive up pretty well, sleeping all but the last 45 minutes or so, which he screamed during. The trip home was a bit tougher, but altogether it wasn't so bad. He charmed everyone at my grandparents house. He even offered smiles to my parents and grandparents.
Maura enjoying the traditional activity of my grandparent's house--TV watching. When we were kids and came up for extended visits we'd always park ourselves in front of the TV and watch for hours. My grandparents always had cable and we never did at our house, so we became true couch potatoes. I tried to limit Maura's TV time, but she definitely got to watch more there than she does at home.
Pappap holding sweet Tristan. Pappap isn't much of a baby holder, but he consented to pose with the little guy. He was so funny--every single time Tristan cried this weekend, he suggested that perhaps he had gas. I hope he isn't correct, though my mommy instincts tell me that it was just fatigue and a change in schedule.

My dad really enjoyed playing with Tristan. He said that every time he has seen Tristan prior to this, he'd had his eyes closed! Tristan was finally awake and interactive enough to play with. I loved having my parents there with us. I let them take Tristan and Maura often so I could enjoy visiting as much as possible.
My Great Aunt Barb loved bouncing Tristan. Does that make her my kid's great-great Aunt? She's always enjoyed visiting when we come up. Maura and I actually got stranded on her porch during this visit. We went out for a walk and it started raining. We quickly took refuge at her house, which is only about a block from my grandparents. Maura and I got to enjoy a really good visit with her and my Uncle Art.
Daddy and Maura spent lots of time playing cars on the floor. Who knew that my girl liked Hotwheels so much?!?
Katie, Me and Emily enjoying a very cramped ride in the back of Scott's convertible. I don't think this picture adequately shows how very squished we were!
Aunt Katie and Tristan
It was great to visit with Jeff. We only see him every few months and we didn't really expect him to be able to make it. He is currently awaiting flight training, so he was able to get away for a few days. He surprised my grandparents with his arrival, so they were especially glad to see them.
We spent much of our visit hanging out on the patio. My cousin Bryan, Joe(my Aunt Nancy's boyfriend), Aunt Nancy and Grandma.
Pappap, my Dad and Amanda(Bryan's fiancee). We really got a chance to visit with Amanda and we're excited to welcome her to the family in October.
Grandma, Grammy and Maura playing with her snakes.
My grandparents enjoying their sweet grandkids. I have a similar picture that was taken when I was about the same age. I love this picture.

We treasured the time with my grandparents and were so happy to have made their anniversary so special. It was a wonderful weekend.











post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Tristan is quite the jet-setter! (Or at least the Sienna-setter!)
You guys are so blessed to have such a BIG and loving family. I just can't get over how much Tristan looks like Maura!!!