Saturday, July 26, 2008

Swimming fun

I was so tired of being at home today. I really haven't been out of the house for any length of time since Tuesday, and I'm seriously tired of packing boxes, so we broke out today and went over to my parent's house to spend the day. Mom and Dad were glad to see the kids and I think they're just trying to enjoy every last minute of grandkid time that they can. We ended up spending the entire day there and we were so glad to have other people to talk to! We went out to enjoy the pool not long after we got there.

" DUDE!" I brought a new pair of swim trunks that I bought for Tristan before he was born. They were so cute, but SO long. They almost touched his toes! Notice the look of utter concentration on his face. He has to really concentrate to keep himself so upright!
Maura discovered Pappap's three foot stepladder and said, "It's a yittle yadder for yittle girls." We're still working on the "L" sound!
Pappap and Grammy got Tristan all ready for his dip in the pool. I held him with my back to the sun the whole time we were in the pool. I can't believe how burned my back got in that period of time. I'm really glad I lubed up the kids, even though Tristan is still supposedly too young for sunscreen.
Maura loves the pool, but she's been a lot more cautious of the water this summer. I can't decide if it's because she's getting wiser or if she's just remembering the two different times this summer that she's been stung by a sweat bee while swimming. Who knows what goes on in the mind of a two-year-old? Incidentally, she actually got stung by a real bee today. She asked me to take off her swimsuit after she dried off and she went cavorting happily naked back to the house. Along the way, she stepped on a bee and immediately started screaming. She felt better after I took out the stinger, dabbed on some toothpaste and applied a band aid. Poor girl! One minute you're frisking naked and happy in the flowers, the next minute an insect is mortally wounding itself to inflict intense agony on it's unsuspecting victim--YOU!
Maura enjoying the pool with Grammy before the stinging incident. She loved the raft and spent most of the morning sitting happily upon it. Well, happily sitting except when she was bouncing and the two times she bounced herself right off of it! Thank goodness for the water wings!
We were sad to have to re-home Luna this week. Luna has been our pet since a few weeks after we got married. I remember how excited we were to pick her up and bring her home. We used to spend hours playing with her and she used to sleep at the end of our bed. All that changed when Maura came into our lives. Luna became progressively more neurotic and drove me nuts meowing all day long. Brent has become more and more allergic to the cats and takes allergy medication on a pretty routine basis just to coexist with our cats. We took the opportunity of our move to Georgia to make some decisions about whether we wanted to continue on as pet owners. Unfortunately, Luna lost out. We decided to find a new home for her and her new owners came and picked her up on Thursday. Maura has yet to really notice that she's gone, mostly because our house could probably be declared a disaster area while we pack. I was really sad to see her go, but I think she's going to a really great home and she'll be happier and get more attention than I'm able to give her right now. Our other cat, Thea, will be going to live with Emily's boyfriend, Brad. I couldn't bear to get rid of her, mostly because she's Maura's special pet. This morning, Maura was petting Thea and saying, "Aww, I love my little kitty. Thea is never going to go away." She said this over and over again and it almost made me cry to think that Thea IS going to be going away in the next week. I started to try to explain, then just decided that we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I think with the move and the change of scenery, it might be awhile before it's even an issue. We'll see. Anyone have any tips for what you tell a two year old when they discover that their beloved pet is missing...

post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

Let me pause and have a moment to recover from my crushing disappointment that Luna is gone... WOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! I know, I'm mean. Seriously want to throw myself a parade that I will see the world's most allergy-inducing cat no more! Wesley has those exact same bug swimming trunks! We'll have to put the boys in their matching trunks when we get together in Georgia!