Monday, December 27, 2010

Festival of Lights

I couldn't wait to squeeze in as many holiday related events into this December as I could manage. This year, as season pass holders to the zoo, we could attend the Festival of Lights for free. There was NO WAY I was missing that, despite the fact that early December set records for arctic temperatures. Nope, not even a 15 degree low could stop us! We headed north for a family gathering at my sister's house and a group trip to the zoo for the lights.
On the way, we stopped at Katie's house for chili. I took the opportunity to introduce Bennett to his first bites of solid food. I figured everyone would enjoy seeing his reaction. He was eager to get that first bite, until it was in his mouth. Then, he wasn't such a fan. He held it in his mouth for awhile, then spit it out. He's still not a fan of cereal. I think it might be a texture issue for him, so I'm planning on starting veggies tomorrow and laying off the cereal for the time being.



We arrived at the zoo with an hour to spare before closing! I had anticipated having more time at the zoo, but it was so cold that an hour was probably appropriate. The whole zoo was lit up with millions of beautiful light. I loved the dancing lights set to music that they had around the lake.
Below: Tristan got a lift from his Aunt Katie.

I'm not sure that the other adults were thrilled about the train ride, but I had PROMISED the kids that I would take them on the train the next time we visited the zoo. Tristan was definitely going to hold me to that promise! He reminded me about the train on the way up to the zoo.

Frosty the Snowman greeted us just outside of Santa's workshop. I think Maura may have been too cold to be impressed! Inside, though, she was all lit up when it came to visiting Santa! Even Tristan was catching the excitement of seeing the big man!

We were the ONLY ones in Santa's workshop because the zoo was scheduled to close in a few minutes, so we all took some time to pose with Santa! Alex decided to opt out of the scary Santa experience and spend time with her mom and dad.

All the Bridge girls minus Emily. We wished she could be there with us! Julie, Mom, Katie and Lorie.
Below: Despite a sleepy start for Tristan, he thoroughly enjoyed his trip to the zoo.


Thanks, Katie and Scott for your hospitality! It was a fun event and I wouldn't mind making it a tradition, just hopefully a tradition we keep on a warmer evening!

post signature

1 comment:

Michael and Hannah said...

I can't put my arms down!! ;o) Cute pics. Ahhh, the memories!